Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to find out what temp a sleeping bag is rated to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to find out what temp a sleeping bag is rated to?

I found a sleeping bag at a thrift store today for $5, clean and in good condition. Problem is, I have no idea what temp it's rated to. If it turns out it's not suitable for the temps for winter camping for, I'll give it to my best friend, who likes to camp but is short on money. She isn't going to go super cold weather camping, so this would be fine for her.

But I'd like if it'd work for me How do I find out this info? It is a mummy style bag, Alps brand, made with "resin treated polyester fiber batting". It has a zip up pocket on the outside of the bag, around the right chest area. It's got the tags at the foot of the bag, but not much useful info that I can tell. It mentions "Hollofil II Performance INsulation". Anyone have any idea? Thanks alot!

Re: How to find out what temp a sleeping bag is rated to?

Sleeping bag temperature ratings are misleading at best and dangerous at worst

Generally speaking, 3 to 3.5 lbs hollowfill mummy bags would be a three season bag. Comfortable down to 32 or 40 degrees F depending on your own personal comfort ranges

For $5.00 you can't go wrong

Comment

I agree with Mike. I always figure on having the bag rated for at least twenty degrees lower than I plan to camp. I have a 0 degree bag I use for winter camping here in north Florida. I have a -15 degree bag I haven't yet used.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I would take a picture, and send the pic and all information to alps and ask for the information.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

In order to get a guesstimate I'd weigh the sleeping bag and then after ascertaining the weight of the outer fabric and zipper via some google comparisons, subtract those weights out from the total to get the fill weight. Then I'd check similar products with same fill and weight to get the manufacturer's current thoughts You might also see the RN number on the tag and contact Alp's with that info..prolly no need to weigh since there's a good chance they'll be able to locate the specs with the RN number.
          Last edited by NYCgrrl; 06-02-2013, 12:41 PM.
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by Carmen1979 View Post
            I found a sleeping bag at a thrift store today for $5, clean and in good condition. Problem is, I have no idea what temp it's rated to. If it turns out it's not suitable for the temps for winter camping for, I'll give it to my best friend, who likes to camp but is short on money. She isn't going to go super cold weather camping, so this would be fine for her.

But I'd like if it'd work for me How do I find out this info? It is a mummy style bag, Alps brand, made with "resin treated polyester fiber batting". It has a zip up pocket on the outside of the bag, around the right chest area. It's got the tags at the foot of the bag, but not much useful info that I can tell. It mentions "Hollofil II Performance INsulation". Anyone have any idea? Thanks alot!
            Wow that's really convenient, thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
            X