Group Camping Planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Camping Planning

Many of my friends from our small church know that my family enjoys camping. Some of them got this idea last year that I would be great at organizing a small group camping trip. I have never organized a group trip before, but I am always up for challenges. I organized the first trip and we spent 3 nights at Lassen National Park in California. The weather was supposed to be in the 70's during the day and 40's during the night. There was snow banks on the road during the drive and plenty of areas for the kids to go snow sliding in the warm weather.

One of the guys that came with had never camped in his life. He made a funny comment on purpose to make us all laugh. He said "Chinese people stay in hotels and that is as close to camping as we get." He really did not want to go camping, but his wife did. He even helped plan the trip. He never had set up a tent in his life. I set up the tent for his family of 7 and let him use a lot of our equipment. The first night it got down to 26 degrees! The following night, another family offered him several more sleeping bags to keep them warm.

Here is how I made plans for this trip to Kings Canyon National Park:

"We are going to Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Park from From June 7-Monday June 10. It's about a 5 hour drive from the Bay Area. The group campsites are first come first serve. I will arrive early enough to reserve a group site @$40 a night. Bring your own food and we can pot luck at night if you like. There is a lot do at this park and we can figure all that out when we arrive. Let me know if you are interested."

The trip I planned this year is for the second week the second week of June and I decided on Kings Canyon, a mere 5 hour drive. Did not seem too far for my family since that is usually how far we travel on our first day despite the fact that we never seem to leave before noon.

Shortly after making the announcement via email where we were going, I got a lot of responses that made me chuckle.

"Why so far away?" "Can we drive some place north of the Golden Gate Bridge?", "Let's leave on Thursday and come back Sunday."

There were a lot more comments than this. A close friend with a rather strong personality chimed in and said Kings Canyon is 10 time more beautiful than some of the other suggestions and that we need to stick with our plan. He also told me make the plans and let chips fall where they fall. I knew that he was on to something. Most of the people asking for the special requests and complaining about this or that were probably never going to come on the camping trio.
    This short invitation worked and did not stress me out. All I did was go online to Reserve America and reserve 3 camping sites for 4 families. I included a lot of links for people to see all they need to know about Kings Canyon.

I know there are a lot people here that love to plan big events. My wife did not want the stress of planning meals and activities. Ditto for me. Last year I wrote the same group camping script and 16 people joined us at Lassen National Park. We should get about the same amount this year.

We are all excited about this trip and I look forward to posting photos.

Attached Files
    Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
    sigpic

Re: Group Camping Planning

Great story and great photos.

I organize about four big group camping events every year. This include bicycle camping trips, Ski camping trips, canoe camping trips, backpack camping trips and car camping trips. A countless number of people hear about the trips and say, "Oh please include us on your next trip. We really want to go" So the "Invite List" is now up to 120 people, but in the end, it is always the same 16 to 20 people who actually go.

The comments from folks asking if there isn't some place closer than 5 hours away is reasonable. If I drive in any direction for five hours, I will be well into another state. We are lucky that we don't have to drive that long to access good camping. One hour in any direction brings us to a number of excellent camping areas.

You idea to do pot-luck is good. Keep it simple for yourself. Another thing to do is to have the other folks in the group pitch in with everything - delagate, delagate. Have other folks organize group activities, etc.

It is very good of you to do this. People willing to organize and lead camping trips are few and far between.

Comment

Great trip "save" weatherwise, and the pictures to back it up!

When group camping, I tend to be the one in charge which means I get to plan not only the logistics but the menus. Errr and most everyone who knows me accepts I enjoy that and as a consequence I exempt self from KP clean up duty. Spot picking is always dependent on the car accessibility of the crowd going. A large contingent of outer borough R.S.V.P.ers means at least 2/3s of us drive/have car access and a 3-4 hour trip is fine; native NYCers translates to less know how to drive and requires a closer locale.

A pot luck on this end tends to have a theme and a designation of dish type. Keeps us from winding up with 6 bottles of "whine" and 3 desserts for dinner, LOL. I tend to designate my first longterm camping trip to children and those who have them; they are not invited to any other camping trips as an arbitrary empty nester yessss I enjoy being selfish rule.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

When I was in high school, our leaders planned these awesome long road trips from Minnesota to Grand Tetons, Wind River Mountains, and the Appalachian Mountains. At least 20 people went on these trips. Most were high school kids.

This was back in the 70's. All of us would get together in our church commercial kitchen a week or so before we left and make pots of food like chili and freeze them in freezer bags. A wonderful lady by the name of Ardell Mills planned all the food details. She had us dialed in. Meals were always quick. We all helped.

I remember cooking on 2 burner propane stoves. Food was always over-the-top for a large group. This was before people became vegetarians, gluten free, fat free, etc. Lunch were sandwiches. I can still remember making sandwiches during a lunch break at a national forest picnic area in the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming.

I think the reason this lady Ardell was so good at planning is because she made decisions and stuck with plan. She delegated all the assignments during the planning as well as the camping trip.

When we returned back to the church, all the equipment had to be cleaned packed up for storage.

Group trips are lot of fun. Yes, there will be whiners. I let them take care of themselves as they usually back out before the planning stage ends.

We have an unusual church group. Most of us are excellent cooks and love to share dishes and culinary skills. We belong to food buying coops. Several families just went in together and bought a few grass fed steers. We are very quirky. Some have food allergies. They request this and that for our potlucks. One wants to go to front of the line so nobody contaminates the food. My wife and I smile. God loves them too.

I made the decision for any group camping trip that it will have to be pot luck as I cannot cater to a vegan, a lacto vegetarian, a beef eater, a chicken eater, a gluten free eater, etc.

We would be cooking all day to satisfy this needed group. With pot lucks, it seems to work itself out as there is a such a variety to eat.
        sigpic

Comment

@hogSnapper-Our church went on a trip to Kentucky in 1980. I have to jog my memory as to where we stayed. It was with Appalachian Service Project. We did 1 week of service and a 4 day back packing trip.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            Great story and great photos.

The comments from folks asking if there isn't some place closer than 5 hours away is reasonable. If I drive in any direction for five hours, I will be well into another state. We are lucky that we don't have to drive that long to access good camping. One hour in any direction brings us to a number of excellent camping areas.
            We do have excellent places within an hour. However, you often need to reserve a year in advance. The internet has both helped and hindered the process. It has made people more aware of the great camping places nearby!
            sigpic

Comment

We usually camp with a small group for long weekends. What we do is each family prepares one breakfast and one dinner for everyone else. We're all on our own for lunch. There are usually 3 families between us so a Friday through Monday trip works perfectly. If we have more families then we team up.

Comment

Working...
              X