Whose is Camping in January 09?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whose is Camping in January 09?

Our wedding anniversary is on the 14th. We are leaving the 12th to camp at Red Rock Canyon State Park, California for two nights. On the 14th we are going north up SR14 and turning left onto SR178 to Lake Isabella and camping their until MLK day? Yipeee! We have been closed up since Thanksgiving(we camped at Temple Bar, AZ) and we are so looking forward towards this! Who else is camping in January?

PS: We've never been there, and we are not making reservations, any tips on the area would be great if you've been there.
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 01-04-2009, 08:44 PM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Camping in January 2009

Well, I just got back (Saturday) from a weekend trip to Sorghum Hollow. It's a little place just outside Midway, Arkansas with the Boy Scout troop that I'm Scoutmaster of. Unfortunately, the troop is chartered to an LDS church and they usually can't camp on Sunday, so 99.9% of the weekend trips we take is only Friday and Saturday.
    Besides the Boy Scouts, I love camping and the family and I are planning a couple of weekend trips. One of my favorite places in Arkansas is a little place called Haw Creek Falls. Beautiful scenery, nice little creek and several small waterfalls in the area. Lots of wildlife and for me that is a big plus since I'm a photographer.
    Scott W. McClure
    Photographer/Scoutmaster Troop 202
    Eagle Scout-BSA/Order of the Arrow-Vigil Honor Member

"You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day and only so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn't waste either." The late Galen Rowell.

Comment

Whose's Camping in January 09

Originally posted by scottmphoto View Post
      Well, I just got back (Saturday) from a weekend trip to Sorghum Hollow. It's a little place just outside Midway, Arkansas with the Boy Scout troop that I'm Scoutmaster of. Unfortunately, the troop is chartered to an LDS church and they usually can't camp on Sunday, so 99.9% of the weekend trips we take is only Friday and Saturday.
      Besides the Boy Scouts, I love camping and the family and I are planning a couple of weekend trips. One of my favorite places in Arkansas is a little place called Haw Creek Falls. Beautiful scenery, nice little creek and several small waterfalls in the area. Lots of wildlife and for me that is a big plus since I'm a photographer.

Howdy Scott,
      Sounds like you had fun! Except the LDS part where there's no camping on Sunday, that's foolishness! And since you are a photographer have you checked out my photo albums in the member list section of the forum. I'm a retired industrial photographer, who worked 20 years at the Nevada Test Site where our government did underground nuclear testing. Perhaps in your spare time you could throw up some albums too: anything that has to do with camping. I never ever been to Arkansas, sounds really nice! How about some photos from your recent camping: On my honor I will do my best, etc. Thanks for sharing! I was in BSA when I was I child back in the middle 60's and our troop hiked the Grand Canyon rim to rim, north to south in 3 days.
      Last edited by renodesertfox; 01-05-2009, 08:27 AM.

Comment

I've got my big dual-sport motorcycle meet during the MLK weekend, that we will be taking over a local YMCA campground. One of our members is the Operations Manager there, and this is our fourth year doing this. All proceeds after expenses go to the camp to help the kids. We often do some maintenance there too, on other 'work days'. We like to keep them happy, and asking us back!
        While there are numerous simple cabins (lights and electricity, but no heat or insulation - can get cold in winter!), a lot of us camp in tents. We have enough room to put our tents well away from the bike maintenance and gathering area. Not too noisy.
        I'm the primary Contact Guy this year, and setting up the big Saturday Night Dinner.
        If y'all hear a big rumble to the southeast - it's just 50 or so KLR thumpers 'doing it in the dirt'! :D
        It's unusually warmish this winter! Been in the fifties at night lately, supposed to be only into the forties during the MLK weekend! Usually it's fifteen or twenty degrees colder!
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Whose Camping Jan 09

Howdy Lance,
          You are going to be busy! Good Luck!

Comment

"Tour de Apalachicola IV" is on........!

Today, a buddy and I will be gathering our breakfast and Saturday Night Dinner supplies for the camp - mostly from Costco.

Weather has taken a nasty turn - an "Alberta Clipper" is sailing down from the Great White North, threatening us with temps possibly into the TEENS! Not unheard of for North Florida, but definitely dampens our planned fun some. Looks like we will be practicing our Deep Winter Camping skills! I hope to be in my three-man dome tent, but will take a Mr. Buddy portable propane heater for use in a cabin, if needs be. Our big meeting hall will be heated too - it may end up looking like a refugee hospital! :D
            Daytime temps will rise into the fifties, so we will still do our planned rides - maybe starting off a bit later in the morning!

This isn't the worst cold we have seen - back in 1981, we had 8 degrees! Back in high school in the 70's, I rode my little Honda to class in 11 degree weather!

Comment

I hope the desertfoxes had a great anniversary trip
              2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
              2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
              I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

Bigdog

hope your weekend trip turn out ok
                hope you take pics
                I am not lost, I am here

Comment

I am back from the big Meet, and am very tired! The weather wasn't as bad as feared, and I took a friend's advice - bought an electric blanket! My partner had his Teardrop Trailer very close to my tent, and we ran a 100' extension cord from the bath house to our camp spot. I was toasty!
                  It got down to about 19 degrees Friday night, then warmed back to the thirties the rest of nights. The rain held off til Sunday afternoon, so we got our riding in.
                  My buddy Robert and I did the morning breakfast cooking, with scrambled eggs, grits, frenchtoast and sausage on the menu, along with plenty of coffee! We conscripted one of our ladies to handle the frenchtoast, which was her specialty. I was the grits-meister, and Robert handled the big griddle for eggs and meat. The whole crew was very appreciative - no riding in the cold AM out to breakfast this year!
                  We also handled the big Saturday Night Dinner, with our honcho Gerald having cooked up the BBQ meat, and Robert and I did the 'tater salad, baked beans and cole slaw (the latter hand-made! We didn't like the runniness of the store-bought stuff.).
                  The dirt conditions were superb! The sand was firm, with very little deep sand or mud this year. Day temps were in the fifties, and clear and sunny.
                  I led a couple easy forest road (dirt and gravel) rides around a local Wilderness Area. The hunters were well-behaved, mostly waving at us as we motored past.
                  Another old hand led a couple highly technical rides for those that wanted to challenge themselves. The only injury was a lightly sprained ankle on an inexperienced rider. But, he left early in good spirits, riding his bike home.
                  We called him later at home, and he was alright.
                  We had the entire Camp (a YMCA Kid's Summer Camp) at our disposal. Made a lot of new friends. One couple from New York had a TT, and were retirees traveling the country. I will direct them to this website once I get an E-mail to them.
                  I'm pretty well beat, and will take it easy the next few days to recuperate. I took the entire week off.

Pics are up in the Gallery section, once Admin gets them okayed.
                  BD
                  Last edited by Bigdog57; 01-20-2009, 12:02 PM. Reason: Updated to refer to pics added in the Gallery.

Comment

BD
                    glad the trip went well.
                    It made me hungry to go camping
                    John
                    I am not lost, I am here

Comment

January Camping

Howdy,
                      Thanks JPurdy and Lance, we had a great time in Joshua Tree and then last weekend in Mojave National Desert Preserve and then on Saturday we are going to Valley of Fire State Park for another overnighter. Did I tell you we like to camp, and with Mr. Heater our camping has changed for the better. Neither, rain, nor sleet shall stop us from camping except we aren't taking the kayak, because Lake Mead is still running about 50 degrees, chilly! I did a photo album of Joshua Tree that is ready thanks to JohnJohn who approved it! We also tried some new receipes that were just plain good to eat and found a few great wines too under $10 that we have added to our list of every weekend camping! Thanks for wishing us well, and it seems Lance got very tired of serving grits, if I was in that line he would still be serving them. Haha!

Comment

Camping January 09

Howdy,
                        Went to Valley of Fire State Park this last weekend in January/February. Nice place, will have photos in a couple of days. Good place camping!

Comment

I've been camping a few times in Jan...

You cant make reservations at red rocks... you probably will have to camp at lake mead...
                          Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
                          USMC Retired
                          Scout/Sniper

Comment

Camping in Jan is the best time of year to go when you live in Florida like me. But when you have a few feet of snow and below zero temps to contend with a cabin might be a better bet.

Comment

Hoped to do an overnighter this weekend, but the wind has been fierce - tornado and storm warnings for the AO. My range trip this Sunday AM was cut short - too windy to do more than function-test some handloads - no hope of shooting for group.
                              A tent would've been blown away last night - wicked wind!

Comment

Working...
                              X