New Coleman Latern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Coleman Latern

Well, I think I found my new replacement lantern. It is a Coleman "signature outdoor series" Duo LED lantern. It is one that has could either serve as a whole lantern, or break up into two rechargeable panels. Kind of cool but I found something else out about Coleman products with this purchase. There is a "signature outdoor series" and there is a cheaper version of Coleman products. I found this by pure accident. Here is how. I got my REI rebate and a 20% off coupon in the mail. So I figured if I used my coupon and rebate, I could get it for pretty cheap, so I went to REI and picked it up. The first thing I noticed was the REI version is green compared to the Amazon/Walmart version being red. The REI version produces 216 lumen's as a whole, and individual panels are 90 lumen's, according to the box. I noticed the red amazon/walmart version is rated at 95 lumen's for the whole lantern and 48 for the detached panel.
    Makes me wonder if Coleman sells a premium version and a cheaper version of their products, depending on the retailer.

Here is the one I bought from REI
    http://www.rei.com/product/831338/co...-6-duo-lantern

Here is the amazon for comparison
    http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-CPS-LE...oleman+lantern
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Re: New Coleman Latern

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
    Makes me wonder if Coleman sells a premium version and a cheaper version of their products, depending on the retailer.
    I believe they do, and it has everything to do with the price point and intended profit margin of the retailer. Unfortunately a lot of people don't look past price when they purchase things so they're not really paying attention to the specifications of a product, all they see is that they can get it for $20 less through Amazon or Walmart, so that's what they buy. Someone who pays attention would notice the differences and understand why they're not the same price.

Comment

I like the CPX 6 rechargeable batteries - they come with two power charging options. I am using it in the Coleman fan/light combo.
      - Laura
      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by actad View Post
        I like the CPX 6 rechargeable batteries - they come with two power charging options.
        I just picked the rechargeable pack tonight. Hopefully it will serve me well. Seems to have mixed reviews on Amazon.

Comment

CPX 6 batteries - The only thing I didn't like was that they do not hold a charge over time. So, if you put them away charged after your trip, it will likely be discharged the next time you go to camp. So, remember to charge them up the day before, or en route if it is a spur of the moment trip. I usually recharge in the tow vehicle during the day when we dry camp.

I have only used it for any length of time on fan while sleeping - I use the light on low only for brief time periods, mostly just to find something. The pack lasts for about 6 hours of continuous fan use set on high - it is usually about out by morning. To compare, D batteries give about 4-5 nights of use while in high fan mode.
          Last edited by actad; 03-25-2013, 08:31 PM.
          - Laura
          Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Interesting point about the premium vs. regular lines of products. I'm a big Coleman fan, so now I'll have to start checking what other products they sell that way.

Gus

Comment

I went from the size efficiency of a MAG penlite to LARGE lighting - going as far as the Traditional Coleman Two Mantle gas lanterns that put out a powerful light equivalent to a raw 75 watt electric bulb.

Then, I started scaling back again - going to a Coleman packable LED lantern,,,

,,, and now I am back to minimalist carrying only a headlamp, which frankly provides better light where I need it than even the brightest lantern.

In the darkness of campsites, any lantern will cast off dark shadows, so for the same money as a good lantern, you might consider outfitting your whole crew with headlamps.

Comment

Re: New Coleman Lantern

I will never give my whole crew headlamps. I can't stand them, I hate them. They are one of my pet peeves. I am anti-head lamp. Did I mention I don't like them?:D
                I run a two lantern system. I use the propane one for outside use, and I only use it for late night cleanup. The battery is for use in the tent, and when the wife and daughter have to answer the call of nature. The last lantern was dropped one to many times and had to be replaced.
                I understand some people like headlamps, and I use them on the job as an electrician. I just hate seeing a bunch of bobbing headlamps walking down a trail at night. I can (and teach my kids) to use the available light of the moon and stars. I guess light conservation was just one of the things that stuck with me from the Army days.

Comment

I have the yellow micropacker. I hang it in my tent and it works well. Enough light to see to change ,sit and chat and play cards but in a large tent not quite enough to read. Batteries seem to last in it. Great light for the $$$.

Comment

Working...
                  X