Day pack suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day pack suggestions?

Looking for a small, cheap, lightweight day pack for short hikes. I've been trying to snag a decent one from the local thrift/discount stores, but with no luck. Any suggestions?

Re: Day pack suggestions?

I just received my Yukon 35L pack from Muttshop, and it looks pretty good. Has a place for a hydration pack, and a rain cover that you can pull out and cover the pack. Looks pretty good.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Congrats for being the winner! Gotta get a picture up of it? Glad you like it!
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

For something smaller and simpler than the overhyped and overpriced hiking packs, I have found some good ones at my local big grocery store when they are selling school supplies. My favorite is a green rucksack with multiple compartments and small pockets - I can place gear in a logical order, rather than all just jumbled into a single bag. Nice dark green color, good heavy duty nylon material, and well-padded shoulder straps. Has an internal hydration pocket, but I had to get a separate bldder. It's become my hunting pack of choice. Got a similar type in black/grey too. As I recall, I paid maybe $20 or less for them. I've put the green one to al lot of use for the last few years, and it has never given a problem. Brand name tag says "Mountain Terrain" - typically Chinese-made sounding, but a good product.

I have some camo packs and bags from WallyMart's hunting goods section, but the material is flimisier, stitching tends to come loose under heavy use, and the design isn't as good and useful.

I do have two medium Alice packs, GI surplus. They are typically worn but servicible. I attached one to a good hiking pack frame I had from an old pack, and I strap sleeping bag, tent and other gear to it externally for camping. It's a good setup, but too bulky for just daypack use.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Just got a Chair-Pak in the fall. It is without a doubt the last day pack I will ever buy. It does have a little more weight because of the frame, than a regular day pack but it is easy to organize, it can hold all your needs for a one day trip be it for hiking, hunting, fishing, or even a day at the ball park etc... It unfolds into a very comfortable seat with back support. I like this thing so much that I might be lugging it along on short backpacking trips. check it out at www.chairpak.com

Comment

When it comes down to it, most day packs are sufficient for day use.. personally I like carrying my camelbak luxe (women's version of the Mule) if it's just me I have to worry about because it holds a large hydration bladder, plus a rain jacket, some snacks, and small FAK, and it's relatively compact and comfortable, but if I have to carry my stuff plus the larger family size FAK plus extra water and snacks for the kids, then my Gregory pack is ideal... it has lots of room for everything plus the suspension system makes it feel like I'm not carrying anything at all and the mesh back is VERY nice when it's hot outside. I've yet to completely stuff that pack full, which is nice - nothing annoys me more than feeling like I don't have enough room in my pack.

However, neither of those are inexpensive.. so my advice is probably not terribly helpful, however, I've "made do" with enough cheap packs in my life to know that spending a little more on something I will be happier using is money well spent. I paid about $55 for my camelbak (on sale, which isn't too bad considering the reservoir sells for about $35 by itself) and $95 for the gregory pack (also on sale).

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
              thrift store, eh? I'm guessing you want something cheap. An old medium Alice Pack from an Army Navy Store or gun show can't be beat. They are bulletproof. Some of the European military surplus rucksacks might interest you too. I think Dave Canterbury has a video about a swiss army pack that $30.

Beyond that packs can get pretty personal - a lot depends on how it feels on your shoulders and hips - different packs for different body types and all that.
              I agree with HS that the military surplus packs make good day packs - Alice Pack if you are lucky enough to find one at a reasonable price.

I picked up a military surplus canvas and leather day pack with a lightweight frame at our local hardware store for under $30 and it is really excellent - very comfortable with leather suspension strap that keeps the pack off of the lower lumbar of your back. These days, military surplus comes from all over the world including Europe, Russia, and even Israel so you can get some great stuff pretty cheap - check out the European wool blankets if you can find them.

When I was a kid, we used to get old WWII and Korean War surplus stuff that was heavy, minimally functional and not really all that great for backpacking. We kept our eyes open for the "newer and more modern" stuff coming out of the Vietnam war. We were always sobered by the weight and clunkiness of the gear and thought about the guys our age dragging that stuff through the jungle battlefields because their lives depended on it. Today's military stuff is really better made - tough AND lightweight, instead of just being tough and heavy. Alice Packs are a good example as are today's military boots and clothing.

Otherwise, keep your eyes open at the thrift stores. A lot of "yesterday's kids" have been using well-made, well-designed day packs to schlepp their books around with and these "but, Mom, I gotta have it" top-of-the-line day packs find their way into thrift stores. When our kids moved out, I collected several of their now forgotten book bags and made them into bicycle panniers. Our local thrift store has big bins of them for $1.00 each sometimes I see Kelty and Jansport day-packs in the bins. Even a lot of the no-name bags have good comfortable shoulder straps. You can't go wrong - especially if all you are carrying is lunch and some water. You will appreciate an Alice Pack if you are carrying cases of beer.
              Last edited by Mike; 04-06-2013, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X