Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yakima vs Thule for Acura Ingra?

Hi everybody,
    I just registered with this forum. I've been tent camping for a long time, using smallish cars that I pack very tightly. I'm planning on a long trip in the fall to Yellowstone from So Calif in my Integra and I'm finally ready to buy a cargo box, to save time packing. Does anyone have any opinions on types of cargo boxes. I would really appreciate your advice or places I can go to read what people say. Thank you.

Re: Yakima vs Thule for Acura Ingra?

Welcome Aboard Canyon!!! Last year we sold our Integra for a Prius, but the issues were the same. The roof rack that would fit my '00 Integra would allow for only the smallest of racks, offering measly support for a cargo box. The mileage hit would have been huge, and the roof rack would soon be left on permanently, meaning a mileage loss and whistling (yep, even with the front fin to reduce wind noise). The solution was a Thule Transporter Combi cargo box and a Class II trailer hitch and plug-in light kit. The Thule weighs around 55 pounds and has a 150-pound weight capacity. I added Firestone RideRite air bags in the coils to eliminate any rear-end sag, which could cause some scraping of the cargo box in off-road type situations commonly found in campgrounds. The cost of the box+hitch wasn't really any more than the box+roof rack, and you don't take the big hit in mileage, no need for a stepladder to load and unload the thing, and no dings on the roof from gear mishaps. The Transporter Combi is 13 cubic feet, the size of a Toyota Corolla trunk.

“People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
    X