Backpacking adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Backpacking adventure

Thanks Reno, not sure if my pics were too big or what, but it didn't work the same for putting them in the thread. Last camera was 4.0 mp this new one is 18.2 mp I think. Was worried they would blow the thread up too much.
    "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

Here is the link to the album if I do this right...

http://www.campingforums.com/forum/a...hp?albumid=110
      "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Comment

I love it out there. I have stuck mainly to this one trail as it is very seldom used. Have not seen anyone else on it yet. There is also Rattlesnake Canyon which is down into the canyon and Slaughter Canyon which I have not been on yet. Slaughter is just to the East of Yucca, though not as steep of a climb from what my book says. I did finally try counting steps on the hike out and then lost count when I was taking in the last of the scenery before descending into the canyon and figured to heck with it for right now, I'll get it eventually... LOL

Comment

IMHO here is a solution to understanding Tarps and I don't mean government bailouts:

http://www.creativeshelters.com/Docu...-Poly-Tarp.pdf

I'm just suggesting a stronger tarp, that may add a few ounces to someone's backpack. This isn't the final word, sure someone else has a good idea?
          Last edited by renodesertfox; 02-25-2013, 10:47 PM.
          Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
          Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Thanks Reno, my footprint I made from a blue tarp from the cheap tool store. It was the cheapest thing I found. I should probably look online for a thicker tarp. Not sure that any of the stores in my town would have anything better. It's the same blue tarp everywhere I go.

Comment

Originally posted by West Texan View Post
              I love it out there. I have stuck mainly to this one trail as it is very seldom used. Have not seen anyone else on it yet. There is also Rattlesnake Canyon which is down into the canyon and Slaughter Canyon which I have not been on yet. Slaughter is just to the East of Yucca, though not as steep of a climb from what my book says. I did finally try counting steps on the hike out and then lost count when I was taking in the last of the scenery before descending into the canyon and figured to heck with it for right now, I'll get it eventually... LOL
              WT, I sure enjoyed the diary of your trip! It was well written. I felt like I was on the trip with you.

I have to say, though, names like "Rattlesnake Canyon" and "Slaughter Canyon" don't sound very inviting.

Comment

WT, If you have a Walmart/Kmart or Auto-Zone nearby check out the tarps in the vehicle dept. Believe it or not, but 35-40 yrs ago I use to solo bow-hunt & backpack frequently. Purchased a heavy duty 23 mils thick tarp and cut it to fit an old Coleman Pup tent I used then. The ground tarp I now use under the front porch area of our Kodiak 10x14 is 16 mils thick and purchased it at Walmart as an 8x10 for $18.99. Cut to fit as 10x11. Have been using it for years, nothing penetrates it!
                Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Thanks Mike. I will say Rattlesnake is probably aptly named, but Slaughter I believe is named after a guy that had a ranch there back in late 1800s or early 1900s.

Reno, I'll try Walmart. I had not even thought about there.
                  Last edited by renodesertfox; 02-27-2013, 07:21 AM. Reason: Spelling errors, hope you don't mind?

Comment

Congratulations on the successful trip! Sounds like you were able to enjoy nature while honing your skills a bit. I just got access to your photo album (as in I'm a newb here). Looks like an intriguing landscape to visit, especially at this time of year! In another thread (not sure which one) RDF made a comment about the zoom on your camera. What make/model are you using? I'm been day dreaming about the Sony NEX cameras myself. It may not be a Nikon or a Cannon but I have some arterial motives.

Comment

timd, I do love the landscape out there. I hiked it first time late last September and it was hot then. I will probably find out how hot it really gets this summer. The camera I am using now is a Sony 200HZ I think. It has 30x optical zoom. Used it in the cave and never used the flash. Most all the pictures in the cave came out better than the ones I took with my little camera last year.

Comment

Counting steps is not for me.
                        I hike to enjoy myself and do not find counting steps all day as pleasureable.
                        I would go absolutely insane if I counted my steps all day
                        Might as well use a pedometer then
                        Maybe otherd find it relaxing to count to 10000. Not me.

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
                          If you use pace beads you only have to count to 60 or 70 depending on your pace length - you don't have to count to 10,000. If you are orienteering off the trail or if you are in an area with few landmarks or you are trying to navigate around an obstruction like a swamp, then you must use a pace count. It's the only way to measure distance short of a measuring tape (or cheat and use a GPS).

If you just stick to the trails and follow the printed signs then you probably don't need this skill.
                          for short distances of say a mile or 2 can see its usefulness.
                          but wouldnt want to use it to judge how many miles i covered in say 4-6 hours of hiking.
                          if you hike 5 miles yes you would be counting 10,000 paces. no matter how you break it up.

Comment

Working...
                          X