Camp Sink?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camp Sink?

I was looking at some camp sinks for this coming season and dont even know where to begin. I have seen some seattle sports one which get ripped in the reviews as well as some sea to summit...which seem to do better in the reviews. Then there is also the method of cleaning...some actually boil some water so they have hot water to wash with, some use two sinks one to wash one to rinse, and everyone seems to like the soaps like campsuds or wilderness wash...because they are mild and dont take tons of water to rinse clean. I hope (if my membership gets granted) I will be doing a lot of lake camping on the shores of lake Michigan this year so this will see some action as well as state parks. I would like to get a nice camp setup...mostly car camping in this regards but would consider taking one of the sinks with on my hiking at 2.5oz...it isnt much weight. Looking for your thoughts and your setups. I am use to camper camping...so tent will be roughing it.

Re: Camp Sink?

You may want to look here. Your question seems similar to the following thread in the Tent Camping section.

http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...-Camp-Kitchens
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Dig a hole in the ground as big as you want your sink.

Line the hole with a heavy duty garbage bag. Pour hot or cold water into your new "Earth Sink"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        Dig a hole in the ground as big as you want your sink.

Line the hole with a heavy duty garbage bag. Pour hot or cold water into your new "Earth Sink"
        That is a minimalist dream!!!

Comment

I saw quite a few on ebay.

Comment

Is the third sink for sterilization really necessary?

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Woods View Post
              Is the third sink for sterilization really necessary?
              Strictly speaking, no.. I never have and we've never gotten sick from it, but I also don't handle a lot of raw meat (anything raw goes right into a pan) so there's little risk of contaminating anything for us. If our meal prep involved lots of cutting or prep AT our campsite then that might be different, but I'm all for easy food while camping, and just about anything that involves cutting up raw meat at a campsite isn't easy.... I prepare what I can in advance and package it so all I have to do is dump it in the pan.

I use a collapsable sink (Seattle Sports - the square one) for scrubbing dirty dishes (hot soapy water), and my biggest pot for rinsing (cold water unless it's really cold out, then I will use warm water so my hangs don't go numb), I lay everything out to dry on a microfiber towel. If I can't wait for it to dry I use the towel to dry everything off, and hang that up.

I've never had any issues with our sink and it's on it's 3rd season of use now, but if you read the reviews some are sketchy at best. If you don't overfill it and generally take care of it, it works just fine.

Comment

Hopefully I don't sound like a barbarian or something but our camping dishes just get step 1 and towel dried. Actually that's how I've always done dishes, at home or otherwise. Of course this is just me and my wife. We've never had any issues.

Comment

I understand it for groups - just seemed to be extra, unneeded work for a family or solo camp out. Unless of course you do it for your family at home.

Comment

At an organized large campground that includes RVs & 5th Wheels getting rid of all that dirty water from Step 1, Step 2, & Step 3 is easily accomplished at a dump station. In a campground with only vault toilets, those to can be used to expell dirty water. Unless one is camping in the dead of winter, those vaults house a great deal more flies. However, if camping dispersed the motto and guideline is to pack-it-in-pack-it-out. Sure hope one has a container set aside for all the dirty water to haul out! If it's just poured and dumped on the ground then Step 1 & Step 2 doesn't follow that guideline.

When we camp dispersed only Step 1 is utilized and we towel dry everything and put it away immediately! In an organized campground, I & my bride just complete Step 1 & Step 2. We dry by towel and as soon as the implement is dried it goes into the zippered duffel bag assigned. We used zippered duffel's for everything except for our powdered dry ingredients such as flour, pancake mix, dry milk, coffee beans, etc. And those are kept in air & water tight loc n'locs in plastic drawers. Everything has a place and everything is kept in it place at all times unless it's being utilized. We use the duffel bags because they simply pack better than totes. Our sinks are collapsible for easy storage.

Comment

renodesertfox - 2 questions. Which collapsible sink do you use and are you happy with it? What about biodegradable dish soap - is it okay to dump it on the ground when camping dispersed?

Comment

PW(Piney Woods), everyone has their own preferences which works best for them. We purchased the Progressive International Collapsible Tub from: http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-In...dp/B003QP30S0/ . 10 qt capacity, 14.9 x 12.4 x 1.8 inches; 14.6 ounces.

I firmly believe in using biodegradable dish soap which we get from Walmart, Kmart, or Ace Hardware.

Wastewater. Help prevent contamination of natural water sources: After straining food particles, properly dispose of dishwater by dispersing at least 200 feet (about 80 to 100 strides for a youth) from springs, streams, and lakes. Use biodegradable soap 200 feet or more from any water source. But one needs to remember to strain your waste water, if not one needs to pack it out. It also depends on the rules established by the fed forest or BLM land you're camping on. For example, when we have dispersed camped at Lake Mojave, NV which is located in an isolated stretch of the Mojave Desert the NPS(National Park Service) stated that no waste water could be dumped anywhere except in vault toilets. We found no vault toilets where we camped. But when we dispersed camped at Grassy Lake in WY(just southwest of Yellowstone National Park) the federal service advice was to strain waste water first then dump the water at least 200' from any water source. It is always best to ask whomever has responsibility of maintaining the area in which you plan to camp.

Note:
                        I always pack an empty 5 gallon water can marked with the word WASTE on it, that way I'm covered if I need to use it! Theirs a clever saying and I think WT has it in his signature but you get the idea.

Comment

Hog, good points one and all! The last time I camped in the east was in TN near Telico Plains within a 1/2 mile from Bald River Falls(my bride's relatives are from Sweetwater). That's as far east and as far south that I have ever been to. Anywho, you might be a redneck (to quote a popular comedian) if your camp sink is used for both grey & blackwater! I'm a redneck, but not tough! heehee!

Comment

I was looking for another idea for PVC and came across this scouting camp kitchen made out of PVC. Pretty interesting.

http://www.gspiglet.org/pvc.htm

Comment

We're pretty sold on the Nalgene brand of products (I'm a chemist), including a square tub that has high sides and fits right inside my kitchen soft-sided tote bag with other gear inside of it like soap and dish towels, the nesting Mirro pot & pan set, etc. We used the round ones before, but they aren't as space-saving as the square models. Wash on!!!
                              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
                              X