Any winter campers here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any winter campers here?

I am heading out for some winter camping and was wondering if anybody else here winter camps?

For me, winter camping means camping in the snow preferably with temps below 25 degrees F (to keep things dry).

I know that for some folks here, winter camping can mean seeing alligators in your campsite. YIKES!

For me, winter camping puts me right on the cross county ski trails for the ultimate in ski-in/ski-out extravagance. Of course, getting out of the warm sleeping bag to make that cup of coffee takes a lot of self-encouragement and will-power.

I will post some pics when I get back or maybe as I go if I have reception

Re: Any winter campers here?

Nope, never been winter camping, I've thought about it in the past, but haven't been brave enough to try it. I am going to work on gearing up for it this summer, in the hopes to give it a go next winter.

Dan
    www.MuttShopProducts.com
    http://www.facebook.com/MuttShopProducts
    https://twitter.com/MuttShop

Comment

I have everything packed for my solo backpack winter camp/ski trip.

Solo winter camping is really equipment intensive - even if you try to go light. Today, the mercury is 0 degrees F and the wind chill is -23 degrees F, so you can't skimp on the gear. When you are any distance from civilization and the temps get to 0 degrees or so, there is no turning back. If you get into your sleeping bag and you wake up at 2:00 AM cold, well it won't be getting any better, only worse.

If you are traveling solo, the gear load really gets challenging. I have a full size backpack loaded and a large day pack. The only way to carry all this gear is by sled. I am carring two luxury items: One is a gas stove. The other is a Coleman Exponent single mantle Lantern. The lantern is really over-the-top bulky and heavy, but it will help keep me warm as well as give light. If you put the lantern under your seat, the warmth feels so good, it almost makes you pee in your pants.

Other bulky stuff includes a snow shovel and a pretty big bow saw for cutting wood. Of course, all the extra clothes are bulky too. The bulkiest of all, of course, is the bedding. I use two sleeping bags a Thermarest pad, and a reflective blanket/sheet that i put under me, but I can also fold over me if needed.

I bring my big dog too, who helps provide warmth in a big way. He has really thick fur and if he lays on top of my sleeping bag, it is like having an electric blanket.

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
        I love winter camping! It's a challenge but if you do it right, it's awesome. I have a Jeep so I can usually get to some of the remote trailheads in winter.
        Around here, I don't think a Jeep will help you in winter. The roads are either plowed or they aren't. IF they are plowed, you can travel in any car. If they aren't plowed, then going by Jeep or any other vehicle means eventually getting stuck and having to call a logging truck to get you out and that can be a very very expensive ordeal. That is... if you can even get in past the first five feet of snowpile.

Comment

I camp in winter but being in Texas is nothin like your winter. Last trip out was the first time I ever saw snow on a camping trip. I am however hoping in the next year or so to camp in Colorado in some real snow. Hoping to get up there this summer to kinda get the feel of the land before attempting it in the cold. I want to do it at least once if only to be able to say I did it.
          "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

The only "winter" camping I've done is front-country camping in Dec / Jan / Feb when nights will get below freezing; but haven't been out when it's snowed. Typically, those camping outings have been week-ends of hiking or orienteering.
            Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

I haven't done it yet, but I am really interested in it. We don't get a ton of snow in Ohio, but it can be a little chilly at times and can get some wind.
              Last edited by banukab; 02-04-2013, 08:25 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Yes, we winter/snow/ice camp most every year except this year! Dispersed camping is our heart-throb and national forest provide the best places to get it on! Someday would like to get involved with winter ice fishing but hopefully we won't be moving into the upper midwest anytime soon!
                Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I love winter camping but I haven’t been able to go out for some time do to medical reasons. But I can say I just had my surgery and will be able to start camping again this spring. Just car camping and not much hiking until I get the all clear from the Doc.

Can’t wait!

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
                    Yes, we winter/snow/ice camp most every year except this year! Dispersed camping is our heart-throb and national forest provide the best places to get it on! Someday would like to get involved with winter ice fishing but hopefully we won't be moving into the upper midwest anytime soon!
                    You can always come to the upper midwest for a winter visit. Ice fishing and winter sports is a big tourism draw here and you could come with nothing but the shirt on your back in the morninig, and be outfitted and ice fishing by the afternoon.

Comment

Working...
                    X