cann't wait to go camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cann't wait to go camping

I haven't been out camping since last late September or early October. Winter stinks here in Iowa and I cann't wait to get back out and go camping again.

Re: cann't wait to go camping

I feel for you, brewmandan. Winter on the Great Plains is no place for camping. The wind blows with nothing to slow it down and it just cuts right through you. Frankly, I don't know how the Native Americans did it back in the day - I would have never left the tepee. I have been in Iowa and Nebraska in winter and that screeching icy wind is just frightening. I really don't know how people live there in winter (and I am from Wisconsin!).

You are right in the middle of it too - Minnesota plains to the north, Nebraska to the west.... how about heading to Missouri to the south or Wisconsin to the northeast? Wisconsin is cold, but the geography and forests make it worthy of winter camping.

Comment

Our issue is more of time than weather. I fired up the trailer heater this weekend so I could sit inside and plan for the first trip in March.
      - Laura
      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

We were just out this past weekend - but our weather hasn't been very extreme here

Comment

I camped the last couple weekends. Temps got to -10 F one night, but we were OK. Still a fun trip.

This weekend, the temps were down to 0 F with wicked pounding wind. You have to choose your camping location wisely for that kind of condition because you sure don't want to be in an open field for that. For that kind of wind and cold, you want to be deep in a heavily wooded forest and hopefully in a canyon or dells of some kind.

Also, I think that for cold winter camping, you need some activity or purpose for the trip like skiing or ice fishing or maybe snowmobiling. In the summer, just lounging around camp, reading, and contemplating is fine, but in brutally cold winter weather, you need to keep moving - and that means more than just hopping around and kicking your toes.

Personally, if it is bitter cold and windy and there is no snow.... I wouldn't be encouraged to camp.
          Last edited by Mike; 01-21-2013, 12:50 PM.

Comment

We are thinking of a quick trip soon. It will probably be a quick over nighter. Can't wait, getting stir crazy.
            Nights camped in 2019: 24
            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

We went last weekend when it was in the 40's during the day. It was awesome. Cant miss a January camping trip in iowa when temps are like that!

Comment

Say Mike, I've been to Wisconsin and it's beautiful up there. I'm looking to go back possibly this summer. Any suggestions on camping sites in the Wisconsin Dells area that you may know of?

Comment

I know the feeling. My gears ready to go.

Comment

Originally posted by brewmandan View Post
                    Say Mike, I've been to Wisconsin and it's beautiful up there. I'm looking to go back possibly this summer. Any suggestions on camping sites in the Wisconsin Dells area that you may know of?
                    There is only one state park on the Wisconsin River at the Dells. This is Rocky Arbor state park. It is a nice campground and park, but the real advantage is that it has boat access to some of the most scenic part of the Dells called "The Narrows". In fact, the park is immediatly at the inlet/outlet of The Narrows. It is enormous adventure to canoe or kayak in the Dells of the Wisconsin River near Wisconsin Dells / Baraboo.

The campgrounds are very popular and very busy, so it you want to camp there, you need to reserve a site as soon as reservations are open for the year. It is open from Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Otherwise, you can google private campgrounds at the Dells of which there are many. Many of them have that old-school 1950's ambiance with Indian Chief themes, etc.

If you do go to the Dells, spend a day in Baraboo at the Barnum Bailey Circus Museum.

Last edited by Mike; 01-23-2013, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brewmandan View Post
                      I haven't been out camping since last late September or early October. Winter stinks here in Iowa and I cann't wait to get back out and go camping again.
                      It's been so many years sense I went camping, but I always had a blast.

Comment

Working...
                      X