Latest trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest trip

I made it out to Carlsbad NP again. My original plan was to hike out to Double Canyon (6 miles) on the first day, set up camp, and hike back to vahicle second day to get the remaining water. I did not think I would be able to carry 4 gallons all at once along with tent, back pack, food, etc. I have 2 MSR water bags, one is 6 litres, the other 10 litres. Packed the 6 litre with all supplies and left the 10 litre in car.
    Anyway, I hiked out at about 9:30 Thursday morning. I made it to the top of Yucca Canyon by 1:00. Took a small break as that climb is fairly rough. Found out that the trail shown on the topo I have is not exactly accurate. I had figured it was going to be fairly flat and level from that point on but it was up and down and I lost the trail several times. Still kinda hard to get lost as long as you stay on top of the ridge and head southwest. I did not make it exactly where I was trying to make it to. I ended up setting up camp near Lefthook Canyon, the sun was about to go down, it was getting colder, and my legs were not going to much farther.
    Woke up at midnight and looked out to see snow on the ground. That was a first for me. Wasn't but maybe 1/2" but was pretty cool anyways. Temp got down to maybe 28 that night.
    Next morning, I figured my water wouldn't go another night and I was not up to hiking back to get more. Decided the best thing would be to pack up and head out. The hike back went easier, course most of it was downhill. Did see several mule deer along the trail. Down in Yucca Canyon, I came across some barbary sheep. Watched them climb the canyon wall and couldn't help but think how easy they made it look.
    I've learned some more as this was still only my second trip like this. Still need to work on getting weights down. Think I'm going to invest in a GPS unit as my orienteering is not perfect yet. Still need to get into better shape. All in all though, I had a great time. Hope to get back out and do it again soon.

WT
    "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Re: Latest trip

Really cool read! Did you ever find out why the topo wasn't accurate?

Comment

Excellent report WT, you might want to encourage other readers to check out your profile page and your photo album, great pictures of the landscape there! Thanks for sharing!
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Looking at thetopo now, the trail is not off by much. I just thought the trail followed the top of the ridge when it was in fact about 20-50 feet lower. It did cross my mind to try and melt some snow but there was not a lot, maybe 1/2" and was already melting when I got up. Also I think I read somewhere that it takes ten cups of snow melted to make one cup of water. Not sure if that is accurate, but I couldn't have found one cup of clean snow...I'll get a pic of the snow on here. Thanks Reno, I thought about putting a link to the album but didn't have time to figure it out. I'll get to that tonight.

Oh, and Elemont... welcome to the forum.

WT
        Last edited by West Texan; 01-04-2013, 10:08 PM.
        "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Comment

This was the snow I had when I got up. I know it wasn't a lot but it was the first time I was ever out camping when it did snow. Being from Texas, we get kinda excited to see any amount of snow :D
          Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3516.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	69605

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3511.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	69606

Not sure if this will work, but here is a link to my album on here...
          http://www.campingforums.com/forum/a...hp?albumid=108

Not a whole lot of pictures but I picked out the best ones.

Thanks for looking...

WT

Comment

Working...
          X