Camping with a C-pap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping with a C-pap?

How do people power C-pap machines when in a site with no electric?
    2004 Mazda MPV Van
    2012 Coleman Instant 8 Tent
    1981 Rockwood Pop Up (Gone but not forgotten)

I sued to be a man ..... now I'm just a husband

Re: Camping with a C-pap?

good question how much power does a cpap machine draw if you can hook a power inverter to a marine deepcyle battery and use that. But i am actually ignorant as to how much power a cpap uses (in amps) or how big the machine is.

Comment

Check the insert (manual) for the amper draw. Remember that if you use a 12V converter, the heated humidifier won't operate:

From ResMed Tech Note titled "Powering ResMed Products With Batteries":

Requirements for ResMed flow generators

Late model flow generators

For flow generators manufactured in 2000 or later, there is no special requirement with regard to inverter type. Any modified sine wave inverter with a power rating of 150 watts or more is
      suitable.

Note: VPAP II units require an inverter rated at 200 watts. Refer to the table below.

Early model flow generators

For flow generators manufactured in 1999 or earlier, we recommend the use of a Powerbox PS-200-2 inverter. This model is also branded as Motormate PS-200-2.

Requirements for ResMed humidifiers

For use with the HumidAire™ 2i or HumidAire™ 3i, a pure sine wave inverter with a continuous power rating of 200 watts is suitable - refer to the table below.

Warning Other ResMed heated humidifiers must not be used with inverters. Damage to the
      unit or serious injury to the user may result.

Here's a link for DC converter info:
      http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=9828

Assuming your device is from ResMed, they WILL gladly answer every possible question you could ask through their website. If they do not, PM me and I will get you the answer.
      Last edited by tplife; 05-24-2012, 05:34 PM.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I also use a c-pap. So I can only stay at electric sites. They do sell Batteries for the c-pap but they cost a lot and need to be charged each day. 12-volt batteries are to big to add to my camping equiptment.

Comment

Does anyone have anything new to add? I recently started using a cpap, and don't really relish having to stay at electrical camping sites. Another post suggests the Duracell 600HD. That does look like a good option, but spendy.

My parents have a remote cabin site that I like to camp for mutiple days every couple of years. Electricity isn't an option there. Some of my other favorite spots book up fast, and it would be nice to have options to avoid electric sites.

Comment

I will soon be exploring this too. I finally got my big bulky and noisy 'concentrator' replaced with the smaller and less clunky auto C-Pap machine. It has the 12VDC input, so I need to see what is available for smaller batteries. I do have a 'portable' 12 volt deep cycle battery in a 'power-pack' case, but it's cumbersome for tent camping - and forget motorcycle camping with it! I'm thinking a gel-cell MC battery may work alright. I could set it up to recharge as I ride during the day.
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I'll be following this one. Very interested.

Comment

I don't know if you have got to see this yet, it is pretty new. This unit was designed to go outdoors and has an optional battery. It will run for 16 hours at 15cm H20 on one charge and uses HME for the humidity. If you travel all the time it may be worth looking into it. http://http://www.gocpap.com/z1-trav...th-for-595-00/

Comment

The last 2 years I haven't really done any camping. This year I plan to change that and plan to get a Duracell 600 Pro to run my CPAP. It will be nice to have USB to charge my phone and music players as well. Doesn't sound like the humidifier will work with it though, which should be fine. I mainly use it when I go car camping. I want to do some backpacking again, so I may have to rough it and go with out for that.

If anyone else has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Comment

No experience with CPAP, however, a friend needs oxygen and we were able to keep his portable oxygen concentrator running using a 900 Watt (surge) Harbor Freight generator. It was noisy and a pain in the wazoo but it worked.
                    A side benefit of the generator was that we were able to use an electric chainsaw for firewood (but not at the same time as the concentrator).
                    A caution, however; Harbor Freight (chinese) products are not known for their reliability.
                    Since then his nephew got a very quiet, reliable, Honda generator; it works much better than the H/F unit, is very quiet and nearly twice as powerful (1600 watts continuous).

Enjoy!
                    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

So far, when camping, I've just been putting up with waking myself up gasping for air once in a while. But, for the future, I bit the bullet and got this fairly new pricey but compact battery pack:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V53Y57K

It's supposed to work as an uninterruptible power source at home, as well as a battery source for camping and travelling. The reviews say that it does. My experience is that when connected between AC power and the CPAP unit (with the humidifier disconnected) it works until the wee hours and then an alarm goes off and it has to be disconnected. Probably the charging circuit is overheating. When used as a standalone battery supply it works OK for 2 1/2 nights on a charge. So its good for camping and needs to be charged every other day. It also has a USB port for phone charging. Not as powerful or as cheap as those jump start battery packs, but a lot smaller and lighter.

Comment

This is something I have considered since I have recently started using a CPAP. I feel like I can get by for a few nights of camping without the CPAP but if there are any other campers nearby they may not appreciate my snoring. I have considered propping myself up in a semi-sitting position to sleep since I don't snore in a recliner. I may have to invest in a camp recliner and try sleeping in that.

I wonder if snoring might keep the wild critters at bay? On the other hand I would hate to find out that my snoring was some kind of amorous signal for a wandering bear. Maybe taking the CPAP is a good idea!

Comment

Working...
                        X