Air Mattess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Mattess

Is there an alternative to an air mattress besides sleeping bags? We're taking my elderly friend's mother and she can't sleep on the ground but air mattresses always seem to go flat, any ideas??
    I've no house in the city, just a camping tent in the wild.

Re: Air Mattess

Have you looked at any cots?
    May you always have love to share,
    Health to spare
    And friends that care.

Comment

Buy a thick self-inflating sleeping pad. Besides not going flat they have lifetime guarantees. Anyone can sleep on a sleeping pad, there's really no difference to a bed at home when you're willing to open your wallet. A cot would do nicely as long as we're talking summer camping, or with an electric blanket in the other three seasons. Although the alternative of pulleys and a hammock could place one high, high up in the trees, that could be an option...
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I'd agree with tplife - get one of those self-inflating pads that are insulated and filled with foam. They're much warmer than air alone and they have way better support. I just wrote up a review of some different camping sleeping pads, you can check that out if you'd like.

Throw one of those pads on a cot to make it even better!

Comment

A nice thick self inflating mattress would do the trick. I have a thin Thermorest Trail and when I'm on the gorund it actually is comfortable, once I'm laying down and my weight is dispersed. They're suprisingly comfortable and thicker one would be even better. Thermarest even makes mattresses that join together (for couples presumably) that might work nicely to make a bigger bed.
          Happy Trails!

IK

http://www.everything-about-camping.com

Comment

Originally posted by nearlywild View Post
            Have you looked at any cots?
            I've no idea which is the one for me...

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
              Buy a thick self-inflating sleeping pad. Besides not going flat they have lifetime guarantees. Anyone can sleep on a sleeping pad, there's really no difference to a bed at home when you're willing to open your wallet. A cot would do nicely as long as we're talking summer camping, or with an electric blanket in the other three seasons. Although the alternative of pulleys and a hammock could place one high, high up in the trees, that could be an option...
              Sounds interesting to to camp with a hammock. And thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by zack0109 View Post
                she can't sleep on the ground but air mattresses always seem to go flat, any ideas??
                I would go with both a thick (3-4")self-inflating pad and a cot... that is my typical setup and it's quite comfortable. I am fairly young but I have bad arthritis in my hips and knees and I wouldn't be able to sleep comfortably or easily get up in the morning if I slept on the ground (even on a pad).

I found that even if a self-inflating pad develops a leak and doesn't hold air well, it's still plenty of cushion because of the foam inside (especially if it's on a cot), unlike a regular air mattress. Plus they all come with patch kits so as long as you can find the leak it's easy to fix.

Comment

Working...
                X