Concerning maps and camping...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concerning maps and camping...

I print free topo maps of the area into which I am heading and take them with me.

I generally make notes on the fronts and backs of my printed maps, then transfer those notes (and map if it is still readable) to a binder when I get home. If the map is no longer readable I make a new one and use highlighter to trace my routes, mark my camp(s), or where I found water, what time of year it was, temps, weather, blah blah blah.

I also keep my hunting/scouting reports in the same binder because I want all of that info in one handy place. When I go back to an area already visited I print new map, mark anything I think I might need for that trip,and throw it in the pack.

All of the info is grouped first by area, then by type of game. I make a special point to look for water and mark it.

I have a DeLorme Gazetteer which is huge and I keep that in my truck. I am not particularly happy with this map, but it works. Before heading into an unknown area I take scotch tape and lay it over my intended route. Then I trace the route with highlighter. When I am done with that trip I remove the scotch tape and my map is ready for the next trip.

How do you guys do it?
    Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Re: Concerning maps and camping...

Where do you print the free topo maps from?
    May you always have love to share,
    Health to spare
    And friends that care.

Comment

Around here the only place to camp really is the state parks, and they give me a map with the trails and all that mapped out. You'd have to be an imbecile to get lost in the parks around here.

Good idea though. When I am able to go to more backcountry type stuff I plan on doing the same.
      Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

I use http://mapper.acme.com/

And I hear that you can now print free topos directly from the USGS, but I have have not tried that yet.

I set my printer to the highest setting and usually zoom in pretty good so I can really see what I plan to get into.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Great Links! Thanks guys!
          2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

I like to keep my trail maps with notes, too. I organize by park or local area. I like the idea of using scotch tape to highlight the route, copying, then removing the tape so you have the map to re-use again - thanks Ben for that tip!

I've always loved topo maps. Now that I go out on orienteering events, I can indulge in topo maps even more.
            Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Have the maps laminated, than use different colored grease pencils to mark everything. Sorry if this disappoints, but I use my Garmin GPS, than I transfer everything over to my computer. If you have Topo USA, it comes with a program called Base Camp. You can keep records of every trip down to exact mileage of every hike, by transferring over all of your tracks. I know how to use a map and compass and I take them with me, just in case, but I like using my GPS as a track and waypoint log.

Comment

Glitter, make sure the scotch tape is not the kind that will tear bits of your map off as you peal it back. I have great luck with the type that looks a bit "frosted", if you know what I mean.

busere, I like the idea of a laminated map but have never done it. And what does it matter if using a GPS disappoints someone on an internet discussion board? Your actions are not centered around keeping internet "friends" happy with your decisions. I have been looking for a GPS to take with me for a long time now, but have yet to find one that I think I will like and does not weigh ten pounds.

Life is a verb.

Comment

No worries, Ben, it wasn't meant to be taken that serious.

I use a Garmin eTtrex Venture HC. Low cost and it came with Topo US and Base Camp. It's one of the smallest that Garmin makes for the money with a color screen. Price can ranve anywhere from $115 - $144, depending on the package that you buy.
                  Last edited by busere; 02-28-2012, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the link, busere. I have it open in another window right this moment. How does the battery life seem to you? Do you tend to lose signal in deep cover? I often get into canyons and such which is one reason I am hesitant to lug around a GPS unit.

While looking at that GPS, busere, I began looking at another Garmin unit and ran across this site, which has free downloadable maps for Garmin units. Just thought I would pass it along for you.

http://gpsfiledepot.com/
                    Last edited by immortal_ben; 02-28-2012, 11:35 AM.

Life is a verb.

Comment

It uses 2 AA batteries, and they’ll make it through a long weekend. I take a couple extra batteries just in case, and I always put brand new ones in before I leave on an extended trip. You can also maximize the battery life by not using the back-light as much. I’ve never used it in canyon lands, but I know that it’s got me with-in three feet of a geo cache under the cover of summer foliage, deep in the woods. Another way to put it…inside my house, I can pick-up 3-4 satellites. The Venture HC is pretty gosh-darn sensitive.

When I get home from work, I need to go to that site and pick through the trail maps.
                      Last edited by busere; 02-29-2012, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
                        I use www.mappingsupport.com to view maps and mytopo.com to print maps. You can access mytopo.com maps directly from mappingsupport.com

Start off by going to http://www.mappingsupport.com and if you want to view the maps full screen you can use this URL: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php
                        Thanks for sharing these links! Would definitely check these out and get some printed too.

Comment

I just got two of the maps that I had printed from MyTopo.com...Nice, very nice! One is for our Cole Mountain trip at the end of this month, and the second is for my Charles C. Deam Wilderness trip in June. However, I forgot i need two printed for our five day Grayson Highlands to Demascus, VA through hike...We're doing that one in May. I really like the ability to find what I want and have just that area printed on waterproof paper with waterproof ink. The only complaint I have, I specified that I wanted both my maps folded, and they sent one of them rolled. Do you know how hard it is to do nice, neat map folds?

Comment

Working...
                          X