Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women shouldn't camp alone! They'll die!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Women shouldn't camp alone! They'll die!

society in general has become too citified/gentrified...it seems that it has happened just within the last 2 generations...
    Folks in the 50's and 60's I think were more in tune with nature and not afraid to venture out into the wilds...
    look at all the hippies and communes that sprang up...granted, not too many of them have survived,
    but at least they mad an effort to try it...now it's folks like us on these forums who aren't afraid to get out in
    nature and experience it as it should be experienced, without ALL the creature comforts...I wish I had done more
    of it when my kiddo was small...now she's grown and most comfortable with city-life...she has expressed her
    reservations to me about my wanting to live in a tent or yurt in the hills and mountains of Tennessee. she just doesn't get it...

Comment

The big issue here is people have (for the most part) lost their ability to be "Self Reliant". There are very few people that could survive without a nearby grocery store these days. There are a lot of arts being lost to the younger generations, like gathering wild eatables, gardening, hunting, fishing and canning foods. These are skill sets that those that made through the great depression depended on to live.
      2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

Ouch. Although I do understand your reasons about her skills, using the phrase "I would let my wife...". My ex husband said he wouldn't 'let me' ride my bike on a specific road he thought was too busy.

As an adult, being told by my partner that he wouldn't 'let me' do something was offensive. Now, if he'd explained his concerns, and maybe said he worried about me on that road, I may have reconsidered. But I felt he was treating me as his idiot child by saying he wouldn't 'let me' do something I felt okay about doing.

Just food for thought.....

Comment

Since I live with a man who thinks that when a home repair needs doing our superintendent should climb out of the tool kit he obviously lives in I'm laughing.
          A lot.
          He can't swing an axe, put up any size tent solo, light a Coleman stove, distinguish between a Phillips' head and flat slot screw andddddddd he's proud of it.
          He also thinks that living in the NYC metro area his entire life and nevah stepping foot in the Guggenheim Museum is an accomplishment worthy of praise but but I digress....
          Yes but fortunately for us I can do all of the above. Plus.

I don't live my life in a "where is the fainting couch?" box and try to expand my boundaries on a regular.
          Oh.
          But.
          I don't drive since I'm convinced some tractor trailer will invade my personal space and and I'll throw my hands up in a stereotypical "Don't know how to birth no babies" manner.
          Soooooooooo I let the hereto useless man do all the driving and nevah once say"WTH r U good for?!".
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by Joyous56 View Post
            Ouch. Although I do understand your reasons about her skills, using the phrase "I would let my wife...". My ex husband said he wouldn't 'let me' ride my bike on a specific road he thought was too busy.

As an adult, being told by my partner that he wouldn't 'let me' do something was offensive. Now, if he'd explained his concerns, and maybe said he worried about me on that road, I may have reconsidered. But I felt he was treating me as his idiot child by saying he wouldn't 'let me' do something I felt okay about doing.

Just food for thought.....
            There are certain things my wife won't let me do and they are probably in my best interest. Kinda like busere's statement about his wife. He just doesn't want her to go beyond her capablities, just like my wife just doesn't want me going beyond mine. But I could of made that hill climb on my atv.......
            Nights camped in 2019: 24
            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I do understand, and appreciate what you say....that your wife has good judgement about your capabilities. And maybe it's easier for you to say "My wife won't let me...", than to say "I can't do it." That's really good....because as long as you aren't doing something you aren't capable of, it doesn't matter what excuse you give. Really!

And maybe it's a woman thing, or a self confidence thing, or a control thing.....but if someone tells me they won't 'let' me do something I have the right to do, and am capable of, it seems to be a bit more controling than I am comfortable with.

Tell me you won't let me have that third drink, tell me you won't let me cross a busy street against the light, tell me you won't let me knock myself out working on the weekend....maybe I'll listen, I don't know. But geesh, as an adult, it's kind of hard to have someone tell you they won't 'let' you do something.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmen1979 View Post
                This weekend I took my first solo camping trip (car camping in a campground). I had fun, but did learn some lessons! IE if you think your socks are warm enough, they're not, bring warmer ones! Anyway though, what pissed me off, is everyone told me how dangerous it is to go camping alone, especially as a *gasp* WOMAN! I, literally, had someone tell me I shouldn't do that because I'm a girl. (I am 32, btw, not a child). Anyway have ya'll found this attitude to be common? The people telling me this, I don't think have ever been hiking or camping. I consider the woods a safer place to be than most city streets.
                The thing is, if someone doesn't like to camp, or is scared of the woods, that's fine, I don't expect them to want to camp. It's not everyone's thing. But what actually offended me, is their opinion that since it might have some element of danger to it, I shouldn't do it. There are bad people who prey on women (and men too) and because of that, I should not go camping by myself. I should stay home and cower. It's like these women have accepted being helpless and content with it. For the record, no men were horrified by the idea of me camping alone, just women.
                How old was this person? That seems like an awkward conversation. You can take away a few things from it....1. The person is just a little out of it but generally a good person because essentially, they're thinking about one's well being, right or wrong. Or 2. That person IS the danger and you should keep your pepper spray close by! I wouldn't let it bother you. So many people, so many opinions.

Comment

I'll say up front that the odds of being a crime victim while camping are rarer than in the city. That being said however, the lower crime rate is not a good reason to let your guard down. A vast majority of the campers I meet are wonderful people who are trying to enjoy nature like I am. But America's campgrounds and national forests can become magnets for criminals as well. Now there are different kinds of criminals to be sure. Some might be mentally ill or just your garden variety dirt bag. On one side of the spectrum you might have the generally law abiding citizen who commits a crime like domestic violence but is probably not a threat to you (unless you intercede of course).

But other criminals might be living in campgrounds or forest to avoid the law, engage in criminal activity, or to look for victims. Whether it's petty theft or something more serious there are things you can do to minimize the danger of becoming a victim. So here are a few things to keep in mind while you're camping.
                  1. Try to select popular campgrounds or visible camping sites in national forests (near a road or town).
                  2. If camping in remote locations, always have a form of effective personal protection like a firearm (assuming you are legally allowed to possess it in that location).
                  3. If leaving your site, even for a short hike, always lock your vehicles and camper.
                  4. Don't leave valuables in your tent. Lock them in your car.
                  5. Keep an eye on your children. Don't let them go hiking or bike riding alone. I know this sounds silly but I see it quite often.
                  6. Be mindful of your neighbors. If you get an uneasy feeling ask the host to move to another site or try to find one in another campground. If they are patently scary just leave. Do not confront them directly unless you are protecting your life or that of another. It's not worth the risk for such a small camping fee.
                  7. Be careful of whom you invite into your campsite. This is especially true for college or high school aged kids. What begins as light conversation may be a prelude to sexual assault. Generally I wouldn't recommend you ever allow strangers into your campsite, but use your best judgment.
                  8. Campgrounds usually charge a specific fee per night and a diligent camp host knows who has paid.
                  9. For solo female campers a can of pepper spray or Mace and kept close(belly-bag) will work.

As I have said before, camping is typically very safe. But places of safety sometimes cause us to let our guard down. Have fun, enjoy the outdoors, but be mindful of the potential hazards that may exist.
                  Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                  Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Don't under-estimate the solitary woman camper! Most are worth more than some men altogether! My wife(always referred to as my bride) was a solitary woman camper when when met. She even took me camping when I was wheel-chair bound, many years ago!
                    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

DesertFox....great tips. Unfortunately, the people who should be reading them probably won't. I'm thinking of young adults who might regard a seemingly friendly overture as benign, and just an opportunity to meet new people.

When I was 17, I went on a cross country camping trip with my best friend, also 17. We wanted to meet people along the way, and even picked up hitch hikers. That was in '74. Many of the people we picked up told us to stop doing it, but we didn't...we were lucky, but so terribly naive. But that was a different age, and I think we are lucky to be alive.

Single travelers should be alert and careful. Let someone know where you are. Acquaint yourself with the family camping next to you, and it's likely they will keep an eye out for your safety.

There are so many good people in this world, but a few bad apples make us realize we need to be aware of our surroundings.

Comment

Alright, this is now my third attempt at posting in this thread. I tried once yesterday and the server seemingly exploded. Then I tried posting it today, and it went down for me again! Color me frustrated.

In my experience, people with these types of misconceptions often overlook the numerous other dangers that exist and are more common. For example, after the tragic events of Aurora, people were afraid to go to the theaters. Particularly, the Dark Knight showings. My friends went a week after that incident and uploaded a picture to Facebook showing him and his wife in an empty theater at a Dark Knight showing.

Incidents like the Aurora Dark Knight shooting are exceedingly rare. What's far, far more dangerous is the drive to the theater. Statistically speaking, fatal auto accidents or ones that result in critical injuries are much more likely to occur than a freak shooting. That means the drive to the destination that you are apprehensive about poses a much greater risk.

This is the argument I bring up whenever I come across irrational fears such as this "women shouldn't camp alone" topic. Truth be told, and Reno already pointed out, you should take precautions NO MATTER WHAT. That means us men have to be just as safety conscious as women.

Also, just personally thinking about it... if I were a criminal, I don't think I would target campers at all. Why? Because campers are armed to the teeth whether or not they realize it. Campers often have knives, propane tanks, lighters (that they could use in conjunction with said propane tanks), and many even carry firearms. In fact, I know someone that always carries his .45 handgun in case of animal attacks. He had to take a bear down once (self defense).

Again, it doesn't matter what gender you are or even how many people you have or don't have in your group. You should ALWAYS be safety conscious of both animals and other humans.

-Leo
                        Tents | Sleeping Gear | Backpacks | Accessories

Comment

Lol... At first I thought someone was posting on here seriously saying women will die if they camp alone,

Phewwww... Thats good news...

I have to say, I've been camping since I was about 7 ...with very few of those trips containing any male adults and someone how I've managed to make it to 43

In September we, all girls, except for my son (this will be his first trip camping) - lets hope he keeps us all alive!!

Comment

I believe you shouldn't go into the woods without a handgun. Chances are you will never need it but if you do....
                            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                            – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                              I believe you shouldn't go into the woods without a handgun. Chances are you will never need it but if you do....
                              I agree. I have never visited NYC, Chicago, as an adult without a handgun, and that is a lot more dangerous than the woods.

But only carry a weapon if you know how to use it, and you are prepared to use it.

Comment

Women "should" do whatever they want.

Comment

Working...
                                X