A good read...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good read...

While looking in to Survival Gear (and skills, Shadow)...I ran into this article and thought it was really good. Just so you know, some people may be offended, the language can be a little on the edge. If you're from the more liberal scale of politics, you may not like this much at all, so brace yourself. I liked it.

M40 Survival - A Few Words on Mother Nature

Discussion?
    Last edited by busere; 02-11-2012, 08:10 AM. Reason: Formating - It keeps slaming my words together.
    2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Re: A good read...

Sounds like he hit the nail on the head.
    Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Agreed...100%

Comment

Well, to me, he was making two points and he could've focused separate posts on each -
        -- many people are unprepared for "mother Nature"
        -- the past wasn't as good as we romaticize it. (Reminds me of a local advertisement on dentistry capitalizing on people's nostalgia, and then asks do we really want to go back to medieval dentistry? - makes you appreciate modern times)
        Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Originally posted by GlitterHiker View Post
          -- the past wasn't as good as we romaticize it.
          I think his point about our romantic vision of history is used as an example of how we romanticize our vision of nature and her creatures. For example how often do our children watch Disney classics and come away thinking raccoons are cute little bandits? When in truth a raccoon can be a vicious attacker when cornered and they normally carry rabies.
          Last edited by busere; 02-11-2012, 03:36 PM. Reason: Formating

Comment

Originally posted by busere View Post
            I think his point about our romantic vision of history is used as an example of how we romanticize our vision of nature and her creatures. For example how often do our children watch Disney classics and come away thinking raccoons are cute little bandits? When in truth a raccoon can be a vicious attacker when cornered and they normally carry rabies.
            Sounds like my hippy friend.. She saw some armadillo walking around so she went up to pet it and got an education.

I think some people go out in the wood expecting this:

and end up running into this:

Comment

Just found this...on the subject of wolves and the movie "The Grey". Check it out!

Comment

PETA? Should have known. UGH. Well, I'm not going to go off topic here with all that, except to say the group is not what it plays itself to be.

Comment

Originally posted by busere View Post
                  While looking in to Survival Gear (and skills, Shadow)...I ran into this article and thought it was really good. Just so you know, some people may be offended, the language can be a little on the edge. If you're from the more liberal scale of politics, you may not like this much at all, so brace yourself. I liked it.

M40 Survival - A Few Words on Mother Nature

Discussion?
                  That was a good read thanks for the share buddy!

Comment

Great read busere thanks.

Comment

that was a great read and I am passing it on to all my friends and family. Thanks

Comment

That was really interesting....
                        RV Park Reviews

Comment

well, i tend to think of nature as indifferent. id rather not promote fear, but respect. i love being in the woods, even though there's grizzly bears, moose (been ran over by one), lynx, mosquitoes, and freezing water all year round in my woods. i just prepare and stay aware. and yeah, the natives weren't any better than anyone else. i just like to hear what other cultures have to say.

Comment

An excellent read, and I have long called this the "Disneyfication of Nature". People grow up being bombarded with movies and shows having cute & cudly animals instead of true 'wildlife' - they forget the "wild" in wilderness. And not just the animals - as M40 pointed out - being unprepared for the Great Outdoors makes one fall prey to many hazards. Someone is travelingby car during the winter, and it breaks down, especially if they took the 'road less travelled'. They freeze to death or die of thirst from not being prepared.
                            It's truly Survival of the Fittest - Ma Nature culls the rest quickly!
                            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
                            X