Camping pet peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Camping pet peeves

Keep the girlfriend on a shorter leash....... ;-)
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Thankfully, I've missed out on much of the activity listed here...my wife and I prefer to camp at public campgrounds during the months when the schools are still in session. That way...it's usually us and the retirees (who are generally well mannered). In the summer, we head to either private property (my father has land up in MI that we camp on) or to places off the beaten track. With that said, my pet peeves are:

1) Unneeded lights and/or excessive noise (especially musical instruments, radio, etc,....voices don't bother me so much unless it's being rowdy).
      2) People who track excessive amounts of sand/dirt into the showers.
      3) Shortcutting through my campsite.

Fortunately, we've had far more positive experiences than negative! (Though I still have to smile at the camp neighbor who, while tent camping in Florida and there was a tornado warning, offered us shelter in their rv as we were in a tent. I appreciate the offer, but I don't think an rv would be much safer! :-) Thankfully, the tornado missed us by about 10 miles!)

Craig
      Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Comment

#5 - people in my camp, as in I will stay outta your space, you stay outta of mine.
        #4 - bright lights at night, if you are afraid of the dark, go home.
        #3 - noise of any kind for any reason, if you want noise, go to a club, get drunk and sleep it off somewhere else.
        #2 - My wife leaving the tent unzipped, after being gently reminded several times.
        #1 - A belligerent coon in the D*&^ unzipped tent eating the last of my Oreos. You can stay, just leave the cookies alone.

Comment

From last week...

Mother and father brought their 5 kids out to the lake and were fishing 30 yards from our tent. Kids ranged in age from 2-10. Dad spent more time yelling at the kids in the 6-7 hours they were there than he did fishing. Stay away from the water.... quit throwing sticks in the water.... quit hitting your sister.... I knew all the kids names by the time they were leaving. Oh yeah... and they left one of the kids flip flops on the bank and another ones underwear on the bank. People these days have absolutlety no respect for anything anymore.

And when we first got to the lake.... we spent half an hour cleaning up the trash where we planned to set up camp before we even unpacked. Amongst the litter we picked up was a dirty diaper. Needless to say, the trash bag did not come into the tent with us. Firgured if a coon got into it, we would clean it up again.

Oh yeah... the last thing was about 1:30 Saturday night. A truck full of drunk teens came barrelling around the dirt roads with the teens hoopin and hollerin. They tried to drive through a bog and got their truck stuck. After much shouting and cussing and almost a fight (this was 200 yards behind my tent) they had another truck not pull him out, but yank him out. They would back up and get slack in the chain and get a running start and jerk on the truck. As soon as the truck was pulled out, (2:30 am) the idiot drove right back into the same bog and got stuck again. Hook up the pull truck again and yank some more but this time they bust the chain. More yelling, cussin, and hollerin and later they get two more trucks out there and get him out the final time (4:30 am).

Sorry, I'll quit rambling now. All that just ticked me off.
          "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

You do have a point... I sat up the entire time they were out there... decided not to approach them as they were all fairly beligerent and didn't need to insert myself into something like that.
            "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

Yep, that's was a funny description WT! Thanks for sharing this!
              Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
              Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

My biggest pet peeve that hasn't been mentioned yet is kids on mopeds. This has grown from more of an annoyance to a dangerous situation now since I have small kids that I walk back and forth to restrooms etc. I can overlook most anything as we are all there to have fun, but putting my kids in danger with teens going as fast as they can go paying little attention to what is going on around them is the worst in my opinion.

Comment

PEOPLE WHO DON'T WATCH THEIR DOGS!
                  People who walk through our campsite

...I think that's it.

Edited to add: Litterbugs! Can't believe I missed that one...
                  Last edited by NWCamper; 05-20-2016, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Pet peeves;
                    ...Fields of toilet paper flowers; where people don't know/care enough to burn them or pack them out.
                    ...People with motorized vehicles operating them in hazardous ways; especially off the approved trails (tearing up the countryside; Oooo, there's some lawn, its donut time).
                    ...Drunks with loud stereos, partying all night.
                    ...People who don't cleanup the campsite (and/or don't take their trash with them)...
                    ...trash shooters and/or gun idiots...(does not include responsible trained firearm owners).
                    ...Morons that cut down living trees for their fire (most green wood doesn't burn at all well).

Enjoy!
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 04-24-2016, 10:26 AM.
                    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                      Pet peeves;
                      ...Fields of toilet paper flowers; where people don't know/care enough to burn them or pack them out.
                      ...People with motorized vehicles operating them in hazardous ways; especially off the approved trails (tearing up the countryside; Oooo, there's some lawn, its donut time).
                      ...Drunks with loud stereos, partying all night.
                      ...People who don't cleanup the campsite (and/or don't take their trash with them)...
                      ...trash shooters and/or gun idiots...(does not include responsible trained firearm owners).
                      ...Morons that cut down living trees for their fire (most green wood doesn't burn at all well).

Enjoy!
                      Toilet paper flowers?!????
                      My sweet lord...my my sweet lord.......
                      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Its the trash and destruction that gets me. I don't care about the noise and parties. If thats what you want to do while camping then so be it. You have as much right to enjoy the outdoors as I do. It is one of the reasons I don't go to campgrounds. To close to other people who may not think like me.

But there is no excuse for leaving your trash behind. Its just lazy.
                        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                        – E. B. White

Comment

My pet peeve is people who cr*p and p*ss in the campsite when there is a perfectly acceptable bathroom facility just a few sites away. I don't want to smell your p*ss and I certainly don't want to come across your cr*p.
                          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

The peeps who want to party like it's 19,1999 but have no awareness for others bore the crap outta me.
                            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I am one of those people who likes campfire songs and will drink and party until the wee hours (sometimes, not always). However, we specifically choose sites that are secluded and stay away from established campgrounds, private group sites are excellent for this. We make sure no one else hears our noise because...well, we're not a**holes.

Comment

I so love your list. It is spot on!

Comment

Working...
                                X