Camping pet peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camping pet peeves

Have to say that I am an "RV camper": as in a 40 ft. motorhome--I DO know the first thing about camping--I started in a tent--but I now take up to 10 kids with me to teach them about the great outdoors, and how much fun it can be. Along with that comes the responsibility--picking up the trash, leaving the campsite better than you found it, NEVER breaking off live branches, cleaning up after your dog and respecting other campers (no loud music, turning off lights, respecting quiet time and apologizing to neighbor campers if you do something that may be upsetting or offensive.) Please don't assume that just because we have a rig, we are insensitive to other campers. I have the same pet peeves as most of you--doesn't matter what you sleep in, rude is rude.

Comment

I agree with you, Daisy. We also got a Motorhome which we take with us camping. Once in a while, we would give our MH a rest and use a tent, too. In both occasions, we've run across some really rude campers during our trips. It doesn't matter whether you camp in a car, tent or RV. It's really the attitude of the campers.

Comment

Everything mentioned above. I haven't caped in campgrounds a lot, and I try to avoid them whenever I can. My peeves: trash found in the most remote and hidden locations; loud people; drinking (I don't, ever); totally environmentally ignorant and/or belligerent people. I'll stop there because the list could go on.

Comment

Originally posted by daisyandcricketsmom View Post
          I have the same pet peeves as most of you--doesn't matter what you sleep in, rude is rude.
          Most of my camping annoyances have always come from other tent campers. Even the RV generators weren't that bad.
          May you always have love to share,
          Health to spare
          And friends that care.

Comment

I've nothing against RVers as such except the monstrosities block views. When winter camping in the states we have camped in, at state park cgs, usually the tent sections of those cgs are closed because very few tenter's camp in the winter. We are hustled into the RV sections. After quiet hours when we are snug in out tent with our silent propane heater running, it's well below freezing outside and we're listening to the night sounds of owls, wolves & 'yotes breaking the silence with their moanful or joyful cries. We are interupted by the low droan of a RV generator switching on to warm those in their tin shacks! That's my pet peeve! So I get dressed and go to speak with the warden of the campsite and the sound of the RV generator is from his tin box! That steams me more! This only happens during our winter camping so we usually cut our trip short and move into the dispersed areas around the state parks and sometimes the homes on wheels seem to be everywhere. We either put up with it or go home! That's why I'm a generator hater...in a tent which is made of canvas or thinner there is no hearing protection like the insulated walls of a tin-RV. RVers miss the night sounds what we went there in search of! Lately, though we have worn ear plugs when we do decide to hit-the-hay. But it's still a pet peeve!
            Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
            Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Flashlights in the eyes! I almost always move around in the dark without a light unless absolutely necessary when setting up camp, cooking, and such. Then there's someone, often kids, who feel they need to shine a flashlight in your face to see who you are. As a long time Scout leader I have confiscated many flashlights for that very reason.

Comment

People who drive around the campground with their highbeams on all hours of the night, especialy loud exhust pipes (ah hem, Harleys).

Comment

The people at a campsite probably 150 ft away that had a lantern so bright it up lit up the inside of my tent from that far way. They kept it on until 3 am, literally. They also took it with them to walk to the bathroom which was right by my tent, and as they walked by, it was so bright it was like a car parked in front of my tent with the lights on. I literally thought it was a car at first.

Comment

People who drive around at night with their high beams on. And loud exhausts.

Comment

Campers that are disrespectful of nature gets my dander up! Defacing trees, willful damage to trees, and unnecessarily breaking limbs off and letting them hang are some of the things. Trees are our renewable resource and we should take care of them. Besides, they really make the landscape wonderful!! Preserve today for my Grand kids tomorrow!!

Comment

all pretty much sums up my pet peeves. how about the idea of trying to sleep when you know there are reports of punks cutting the guy lines on people tents.

When I was in the scouts we were on rendezvous and there was a reports of tents (eureka timberlines) having the shock cords that hold the tents up in the frames being cut. Everyone in my troop was on the lookout for the culprits but they were never caught.

Comment

People who think they know how to camp and down everyone that dont do it the way they do........ So tired of the Tent vs RV BS!!!! I have and use both a tent and TT. When someone does something I feel is wrong, I go talk to them about it. I usually start off with, "How is your trip so far" or "Isnt this a great place" Then I find a nice way to talk to them about the problem. We ALL have brainfarts from time to time, especially while on vacation. You never know what kind of friend you may get out of being kind instead of trashing them.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasMan77 View Post
                            Litter
                            Ugh, some people... it's worse when you see their children do it and the parents don't even care.

Comment

I can't think of anything that hasn't already been stated.

Comment

My Pet Peeves are pretty much the same as everyone else's! One that really tugs on my nerves is when you go camping & fishing, and while you are sitting by the water you can see the fish swimming in trash, is that really necessary to dump your trash right in the water, near it, or anywhere!! They have trash cans located everywhere in the camp sites and park areas. It's just really sad :/
                                Canvas Tarps

Comment

Working...
                                X