deadwood stove anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deadwood stove anyone?

In my internet searches for family Christmas gifts, I found the deadwood stove website. It looks cool. It looks useful for camping and at the house. We currently use the good ol' Coleman stove but I like the idea of not packing gas and using sticks and such.

Would love to hear from people who have one already.

their webpage: deadwoodstove.com

Thanks

Mark

Re: deadwood stove anyone?

My oldest son made a rocket stove out of a #10 tomato sauce can and some other smaller can one time. It worked well but was flimsy and wasnt something that I think would last very long. That is why I thought this one might be worth having - a design that works but they claim it is more substantially built.

Anyway, I ordered one and hope to have it soon. Will post some thoughts after we get a chance to use it..

Thanks,
    Mark

Comment

looks like a nifty way of cooking outdoors. I personally wouldnt take on camping because I am the type that parks the car and hikes 2 or 3 miles to the campsite. I have a small single burner butane stove.

Comment

I checked out the site but I'm not convinced. There are simply so many better options for kitchen outdoor gear. What about a good ol'd MSR kit or a foldable pocket cooker? The latter usually sells for under $20, uses natural biomass fuels and folds up and is very easy to carry.

Comment

I have seen some nice light models that use a small electric fan that look interesting.

here is the wood stove super site:

http://zenstoves.net/Wood.htm
          -johnny
          Last edited by Johnny Test; 12-16-2011, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Keep in mind, a lot of parks forbid gathering deadfall for fires, and will fine you heavily for it.

I have found the coleman fuel stoves get a lot of mileage out of a can of fuel. I bought a gallon and my stove wore out before I ran out of fuel.
            I do 90% of my camp cooking in the evening over the camp fire.
            Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Hi Mark,
              Are you the Mark from BenAndMarkBestOf Youtube channel?

I think I'm too lazy to use a stove like that. I hate scrubbing pots and pans and don't like to deal with soot on the outside as well. I also don't like trying to control cooking temps by messing around with stick sizes. It seems so bulky, heavy, dirty and you still only end up with one burner.

Not really my cup of tea.

Comment

It looks cool enough. Research how to make a wind shield to go around your pot or skillet. That way the best will contact the sides as well.

Comment

Working...
                X