Most useless camping gear you own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most useless camping gear you own

What have you purchased that you don't use or haven't used nearly as much as you thought you would?

For me, it's my Coleman Magnetic Tent Light. I bought it a few years ago. It's heavy, it's incandescent and it doesn't put out much light. Wasted money.
    Please, somebody, anybody, help my Chicago Bears.

Re: Most useless camping gear you own

The extra high air mattresses from wally world. Seems I had to many of those things go flat and end up sleeping on the ground. So bad in fact, that I loaned one to the neighbor and never asked for it back!

Comment

Good one shawnbebout, Haha! And that is the most useless piece of gear we ever purchased also! They seem to be great, but never last!

ecichlid, excellent thread you started! Thanks! I'm sure this topic will be a good one!
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Two different "Self-deflating" sleep pads. Utterly useless junk. Air matresses have not failed in many years of camping.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I don't know the right name for them, but those camp/trail chairs - the ones with no legs - it's a pad with a back that folds in place and there are straps to hold the back in place. I haven't used it past the first time. I like sitting on the ground (or on the floor at home) & am used to it. I didn't need that chair contraption.
          Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

I don't know about most useless, but my least used equipment has got to be the Coleman two burner propane stove. I just do not car camp very often.
            Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Our Coleman dual fuel lantern. We always end up using the rechargeable and battery operated lanterns.

There are a few reasons for this. One being we don't care for the ultra bright, white light from the fuel lantern. We prefer the dimmer, softer light from the battery operated ones.

It's also a lot easier to flip a switch than it is to pump and light. Then there's the noise; I don't care for the rushing gas noise from the fuel lantern.

And it is much easier (not to mention safer) for a klutz like me to be around rechargeable and battery operated lanterns. I am constantly bumping into things and knocking over stuff. My husband is much more relaxed when the fuel lantern is put away. :o
              "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
              ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

Originally posted by surmisez View Post
                Our Coleman dual fuel lantern.
                That's funny! The Coleman dual fuel lantern was on my short wish list. Isn't it dimable?

Comment

Originally posted by ecichlid View Post
                  That's funny! The Coleman dual fuel lantern was on my short wish list. Isn't it dimable?
                  It does dim, however it's still pretty bright and noisy. And there is still the klutz factor. :o
                  "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
                  ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

I have never heard one. I was told they are quieter than the propane models that I know well. Has anyone here heard both and can tell me their opinion?

Comment

Hmm. Well let me make a little list here since I have been camping for a long time.
                      I'll not include the items i bought which would have been good if I had bought a better quality version (like my entrenching tool)

Bad Products:
                      1. Every cheap air mattress I bought before I got my Thermarest pad. Things would pop the seam always the first time i used them, and the patch kit won't work on blown seams. When it comes to sleeping gear: Buying cheap means buying twice.

2. A Colemen C or D battery operated lantern. It used a single incandescent flashlight battery, and didn't light up much more area than a birthday candle, but was almost as big as my propane lantern. I only used it as a tent light because of that, but it was replaced by a keychain LED light that I can fit in my pocket.
                      Maybe this was OK before LED's became common, but nowdays its not worth the space and weight it takes up. I am not saying battery lanterns are bad, the newer ones are great, just this one sucked. Couldn't find a pic of it, I assume because it hasn't been made in over 10-15 years.

3. A tripod type lantern stand. It consisted of three shock corded aluminum poles about 5 foot long, the bottoms connected with a triangle of webbing strap, and the all plugged into a metal triangle at the top. The triangle had a hook you would hang the lantern from. Why did it suck? The little top piece and the poles would bend if you gave it a dirty look, it didn't fit easily in the storage bag, which would mean probably bending it more getting it in and out. Something like that WOULD be a good idea but it was just a bad design. I wish I still had it because my fabrication skills have gotten to the point now that I could redesign it and make it a damn niftly lantern stand, but I tossed it years ago for being a P.O.S.
                      Oh found a picture of it.

Pretty much now, nothing I have is crappy. If i find something is crappy, I either find a way to make it better, buy a better one, or just ditch it.
                      Last edited by Shadow; 11-01-2011, 10:38 AM.
                      Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

This design works great, and is sold by Coleman, we use a paire of them plust the reflectors:

“People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                          This design works great, and is sold by Coleman, we use a pair of them plus the reflectors:
                          I've seen that type stand, and it looks decent if staked down. I am going to make a lantern holder than just straps around a tree.. Much less to carry.
                          The lantern reflector I like, but I usually just cut the top and bottom from a coke can, then slice it once up the side and snap that around my lantern. It's not as good, but works good enough and it's free. I'll probably invest in one though when I buy a new lantern.
                          Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

I've found that due to stability and the weight of the lantern, it's not necessary to stake the tripods down. Using a single NorthStar on a picnic table and by placement of the two tripod-mounted Model 288 white gas lanterns, I can light up any campsite like daytime! I lower them late at night when not in use. You can no longer attach anything - straps, ropes, nails - to any tree or bush in all except private campgrounds, and even they discourage it, so in the Southwest, the tripods are the only way to go. I have seen the lantern tree strap attachments, a good idea, but they are useless to us as they're prohibited. The lantern reflectors fit inside the lantern cases, are virtually indestructible and neither rust nor stain.
                            Last edited by tplife; 11-01-2011, 12:45 PM.
                            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

If you are in an area that you can put up in a tree, how about a Coleman lantern hanger? http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-200000.../dp/B0009PUTJI

Comment

Working...
                              X