Best Camping Memories of 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Camping Memories of 2011

So what's your favorite memory from camping 2011? For me camping is just getting started but for those who camp in the late spring and summer only, what's your best memory gleaned from camping?
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Re: Best Camping Memories of 2011

Took my grandsons, 11 and 8, on their first backpacking trip last weekend. We only hiked 2 1/2 miles to a shelter on the AT in Pa. Just wanted to get their feet wet.Nothing super special on this trip but they can't stop talking about it, and they can't wait till they can go again. Looks like I got two new backpacking partners.

Comment

That's is something to brag about! Congrats!

Comment

I can't say it's my "best" memory, but the most significant one: Thunderstorms & Rain. I've been fortunate to get out for 20 different trips (sometimes just 1 night) & it has stormed and rained on 16 outings this year. In fact, from March thru September, I had thunderstorms & rain every single camping trip. Thunderstorms severe enough to cause tornado warnings, thunderstorms when the forecast called for 0% chance of precipitation, short thunderstorms that came in series during the entire night, thunderstorms that produced torrential, flooding downpours;a week-long bike/camp trip where it rained & stormed every single day.

Edited: I just realized there is a "best" memory - From all that, I never got a drop of rain in my tent!
        The only moisture I had was one night I camped in a puddle (literally, the entire field was waterlogged) & the tent floor got damp under my sleeping pad - under my hips.
        Last edited by GlitterHiker; 10-24-2011, 04:03 AM.
        Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

I had a bunch of good trips and made some real good memories, but the ones I cherish the most is just spending time with my kids.

Comment

My most memorable this year would have to be when I finally got to go camping again with my family to Yosemite. Haven't been able to go camping for years since I underwent a spine surgery three years ago. I definitely missed it.

Comment

Mine has been watching two females (with no previous camping experience) have a great time, and learn a bit about camping, over this past weekend.
              Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Like GlitterHiker, my best memory from the 2011 camping season is the fact that we stayed bone dry through all the rain. In August, we had one small puddle, smaller than a dessert plate on the floor of the tent -- and that was after three days of non-stop, pouring (at times driving) rain.

While others campers, much more experienced than us, had tents that were collapsing and completely drenched, we stayed dry.

This year we spent a lot of time in the car watching severe thunderstorms, and once had to go home for a night, because it was too noisy to sleep in the tent during the constant downpours.

We (my husband) learned that all of our (my ideas) preparations do count, and make a huge difference. Those that cut corners and do not prepare for the advent of bad weather had their outings ruined. :D

Remember the three P's: Prior Proper Planning.
                Last edited by surmisez; 10-29-2011, 12:05 PM. Reason: spelling correction
                "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
                ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

I had numerous memorable moments while camping in 2011, but the most memorable was tent camping in a beautiful part of the BLM section outside Canyonlands NP. I found my way back to the same spot I had camped before, which had an enormous view of the surrounding desert and canyon walls. A most remarkable lightening storm moved right over my tent in the middle of the night. I could feel the electricity in the air and the light was blinding! I love the sound of rain drops on my tent, followed by deafening silence once the storm ends!

Comment

Hard to say,'Fox. Managed to spend 78 nights in NF Cg's in Wisconsin and da UP. Except for a couple of stormy nights, they were all great. Just want to spend even more time up nort' in '12.

Comment

Sounds all good to me!

Comment

Working...
                      X