Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping with electronics

Hi all,

I was wondering what everyone thought about camping with electronics.

I usually haul around my headlamp, gps, and camera... sometimes a few other items. but I'm getting annoyed with bringing spare batteries, has anyone tried any of the solar chargers on the market, or know of an alternative to solar? I do most of my camping in Michigan, and the sun can be hit or miss most days.

Re: Camping with electronics

If I'm car camping I like to have a headlamp, gps and camera as well. I even bring along my netbook with some movies on it in case I get bored. I bring a small inverter I can plug into the cigarette lighter of my truck and that takes care of charging my batteries.

Comment

I usually go camping with a few electronics: camera, gps, and flashlights. I bring my cellphone with me as well in case of emergencies.

Comment

I HATE the overuse of headlamps. I understand if you have to set up camp in the dark, but hiking at night? I have seen far to many people going for hikes with headlamps burning. Whatever happened to moonlight or letting your eyes adjust to the night? Nothing is worse than a group of people going for a hike with headlamps going all over the place. Then they look at you, killing your night eyes. I guess the light discipline I learned in the Army just stuck with me.

I usually take the same as above, with the exception of headlamps (I don't even own one). Gps, camera, cell phone, sometimes a dewalt radio. I have a cheap inverter that I just plug into my car to charge stuff. I usually start the truck daily, so I am not worried about running the battery down.

Comment

I have a jamer that blocks electronics. It's only good for about 80 yards

Comment

We take an Ipod-ready Kenwood 200W stereo with Polk Atrium 45 loudspeakers and remote control powered by an Optima AGM 12V battery. And tents...:cool:
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

In regards to what shawn said about headlamps: Having a dimmable headlamp is invaluable.

I bring a battery to power 12v items such as fans, phones, and a solar panel to charge it.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnbebout View Post
                I HATE the overuse of headlamps. I understand if you have to set up camp in the dark, but hiking at night? I have seen far to many people going for hikes with headlamps burning. Whatever happened to moonlight or letting your eyes adjust to the night? Nothing is worse than a group of people going for a hike with headlamps going all over the place. Then they look at you, killing your night eyes. I guess the light discipline I learned in the Army just stuck with me.

I usually take the same as above, with the exception of headlamps (I don't even own one). Gps, camera, cell phone, sometimes a dewalt radio. I have a cheap inverter that I just plug into my car to charge stuff. I usually start the truck daily, so I am not worried about running the battery down.
                I think I must hate radios as much as you do headlamps. I also dislike lanterns. I've broken camp at 2am and gone home because near by campers ruined the peace of the camp grounds with radios and Coleman lanterns.

Comment

I usually charge my electronics in the car in the morning to use for the day (and try to keep them out of the sun). I'd definitely be interested to hear what solar chargers people recommend as I've thought about getting one, but haven't gotten around to it. I know it's definitely a sign of the times to bring along the tech stuff, but I can't live without having my camera, cell phone, iPod and iMainGo X speakers on hand. Which, BTW, I absolutely love the iMainGo speakers. They're battery powered and super portable (plus great sound). I work with them and their products are pretty impressive out of all the speaker systems I've used. The best part is that it's also a case, so it protects the iPod at the same time. They carry them at REI and Amazon if you want to check them out.

Good luck and happy camping!

Comment

Working...
                  X