What's Your Choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Your Choice?

Howdy Campateers: If you could only choose one item to carry while camping(tent, pop-up, camper trailer, backpacking), would you choose an axe or a knife? And why?:confused:
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Re: What's Your Choice?

My Gerber Machette. It can act as a knife (if you are careful), an axe to chop and a saw to cut.

Comment

Fixed blade Strider knife. Can be used to chop, slice, cut.
      Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

A large Bowie Knife as it can be used as a knife and a axe by using a baton ( a hand held round log ) to beat the knife with. And I carry a multi tool as well. At time I have also carried a Marbles combo axe/knife set with interchangeable blades but the axe is kinda lightweight.

Comment

Sure would be hard to live without my estwing camp axe. I cut all sorts of things with that when kept sharp....hard to split kindling, or take down a small tree/trim with a knife. I also use the back as a hammer for pounding in tent stakes, or even pulling them out. I can think of a thousand things to do with either, but many of the knife's uses could be done with the axe if needed....not as many if you turn the tables.

Comment

for camping an axe, for all the above reasons.
            For survival the machete, since it helps you make things.
            for whittling a knife.

-johnny

Comment

Good answers all! Personally I carry and use the Gerber Machete. But that's just me. It cool reading everyone's responses. Keep 'em coming!

If anyone can think of a question to suggest, go ahead and start your own thread. If anyone thinks the question has already been asked before(it probably has), but so what! It's always good to chat about what you like, heck one could even make a friend. Big Dog, TPLife, & JPurdy and I go back along way and they were even here before I started rocking the boat. This forum is only as good as it's members stay active. Four more months it'll be the end of 2011. CF seems to slow down a bit then. Of course that is when I enjoy camping the most. Thanks for looking and sharin ideas!

Comment

I'm going to be doing mostly state park kinda camping. Do I really need more than a decent size knife? I can imagine the looks from the campsite next door when the machete comes out.

Comment

Well ducman you raise a good point. But the original question was if one could only choose one item to carry while camping and the choices are only an axe or a knife, what would one choose? Didn't say nothing about where one chooses to camp. And in reality when I camp I bring all sorts of cutting tools, pocket varieties to a small portable(battery operated) electric saw. Thanks for your $0.02.

Comment

I realize it was a little OT but I thought we could expand the conversation a bit as well. No one really said "I would take my machete because I'm usually 100 miles into the Yukon." Are you guys usually that far off the beaten path? Just curious. New to this and I was actually just thinking about this a week or so ago. I felt like the axe might be overkill but I'm starting to rethink based on this thread.
                    Last edited by ducman491; 09-08-2011, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Some campateers are(I am) and some aren't. I prefer dispersed camping where the way in is a two-track. Others not so. Pleased as punch that you joined in the discussion and looking forward to your opinions too on everything camping. If I hadn't an axe, or a Gerber machete and only a knife to take camping it would probably be my Leatherman tool. The Leatherman goes where I go, even it's to Wal-mart.

Comment

I keep my machete on my ATV at all times. I have gotten into situations where I needed wood to get unstuck, make an impromptu shelter etc. When I cam camping and I hit my eye on a tree branch the first thing I do is reach for it. I am like RDF, I prefer to camp by my lonesome. But if I were in a campground, I still wouldn't care what the neighbors thought.

Comment

I carry a kbar knife & a cold steel shovel both sharp as h--- will slice a tomato paper thin or cut down a tree. both are with me at all times. I have also used the shovel to skin a deer.

Comment

Double bladed swiss army knife. Never leave home witout it.

Comment

Winchester hunting knife.

Comment

Working...
                              X