newby question about propane canisters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newby question about propane canisters

I'm new to camping and this forum though I've been getting lots of great info from the posts. I bought a Coleman single burner that uses propane canisters. I've never used propane before. What should I know about travelling with the canisters in the car? Can partially used ones be stored in car or indoors? Any tips for cooking with them? I'm sure I'm being way too nervous about using them but would appreciate reassurance.

Re: newby question about propane canisters

Welcome Rambler, can't go wrong with propane, safe to store and handle although a more expensive fuel than white gas. Coleman's website has good advice regarding propane and other stove/lantern fuels and are a decent resource to start from. Gotta go, packing the cooler!:cool:
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I just don't leave them in the direct sun for long periods of time, and I don't store them in my vehicle if it's going to be sitting there getting hot.
      My Other Interest

Comment

I keep them in a bag or case, out of direct sun. If possible, I park my van in shade when van-camping. I have always preferred propane, as it is very quick and easy to get cooking or have light. White gas and alcohol are messier, and in their own way as or more damgerous.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Hey Rambler,

I had the same concerns a few years ago but if the propane is used properly then there is no need to worry. When transporting make sure all the valves are completely closed and again do not store in an area it can be exposed to high temperatures.

To assess for any leaks brush a commercial leak detector solution or a mixture of 50% liquid soap and 50% water onto any connection or valve. Rising bubbles indicates a leak.

I have a Coleman as well and I love it. Very easy to use. Enjoy!

Comment

thanks for all the tips. I'll definitely feel more comfortable using my new stove now.

Comment

Working...
            X