Old Coleman Stove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Coleman Stove

I was digging through the attic and found my father in law's Coleman camping stove. Considering he is 88 and my wife is 38 and they have NEVER been camping together, there is a chance this stove has not been used in 40 years. It looks to be in good condition but what sort of things should I look for to make sure I don't blow my self to kingdom come trying to light it.

Also, I haven't been camping since I was about 12 when my family owned a Nimrod pop up. We camped several times a year for about 8 years. I remember seeing my dad light our stove but I don't remember the steps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will be taking my 10 year old out for a weekend at the end of August.

Re: Old Coleman Stove

Those old stoves are great! Out of curiosity, what model number is it? You can post a picture if you are unsure.

Was there any fuel stored in it? The best thing to do is to make sure all of the components function before you add fuel to the tank. Check to make sure the pump works, and that the tank will hold pressure. When I picked up our 425F 2-Burner, I needed to replace the graphite O-ring in the valve. Replacement parts, for most models, can be found on Coleman's website for not a lot of money. With a little love, these stoves will last several lifetimes!

Here is a picture of our stove in use:
    Beau

Gourmet Cooking * Travel * 4WD

Comment

Flyfishexpert, that's the model I bought at WalMart on sale and took back. I discovered it was narrower than the propane model I use and as a result, you couldn't fit both my 10.5" GSI frying pan and the larger Mirro nesting pot on the stovetop at the same time, a poor design for our use. I would have to get the Dual Fuel for the wider stovetop, and the added height becomes a trade-off for the fuel savings, so back to the store it went.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Those stoves go and go. Most likely you will need to oil pump leather, check tank for leaks.This site should help you.
        http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/resources/

Comment

I love these old stoves. I've been able to get two now from flee markets/consignment sales for $3 each.

@ frank6160 - nice find on that website. I bookmarked it for future use!
          "Like what you do, do what you like." - Life is Good Slogan

Comment

I think it said model 413E.

Thanks for the info I'm hoping to have it up and running soon.
            Last edited by ducman491; 08-13-2011, 07:47 PM.

Comment

I have a Coleman 413G,it has to be pushing at least 35 years or better.I have never had to replace anything on it,it still fires up nice.

Comment

I was doing a little research and saw somewhere mentioned that the date a coleman stove was made is usually stamped on the bottom of the case.I just looked at mine and it said 10/73.

Comment

Your stove is older than I am. I'll have to check mine.

Comment

Working...
                  X