Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammocks and portable potties

Now, that's a weird combination of topics on one title isn't it???lol

First, I'd like to get a hammock to take camping with me. Anybody got a recommendation on the best? I think I'd like to get one with mosquito netting given my appeal to mosquitos and my inability to tolerate them. If I don't need the net, I can flip the hammock over. Also, how do you attach your hammock in camp? Two trees? Do you have to worry about picking a campsite that has trees spaced the right distance apart?

Second, I'm thinking about adding a portable potty. It would just be for those middle of the night times when I don't want to make my way to the bath house in a campground. I'm not completely sure I want one in my tent. I know NOTHING about these things - how do they work? do they smell? are they a pain to clean and put away when you're ready to break down camp? The alternative is to get yet ANOTHER privacy structure (besides tent and screen house) to serve as a place to keep the potty which is ok since I've been thinking of adding a solar shower anyway. Just not sure I want to go to all that trouble given the short trips I'm able to swing. It would be different if I were going to leave camp set up for a week or more. Thoughts?
    I 'need' an Ipad to take with me camping!

Re: Hammocks and portable potties

You don't need a portable potty. All you need is a "feminine urinary director" and a nalgene bottle . It's revolutionized camping for me! I bought mine at REI: http://www.rei.com/search?query=fuud...9&button.y=12; but there are a few models on the market now.
    Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Great suggestion and simple, I like it!

Comment

I too like this contraption! It'll save loads of space, instead of haulin' 'round our old porta potty, this will save us space and it's already ready for male/female use! How clever! However, even though I bring ours all the time, late at night I still prefer a distant tree. hehe!
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

As far as Hammocks go, there are a few really good ones. Cost is the only issue. There's Clark, Warbonnet, and Hennessy to name the top 3. I have a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe with the 4 season Supershelter. My reason for choosing Hennessy over the others is that I'm anal about having as much as I can from the same maker. With the Hennessy, you get a tarp. On some models, like the Explorer, you have a no cost option of getting the larger Hex Fly. I live in the NW and it rains plenty. I went for the Hex Fly. It's huge and allows me to set up my hiking poles to make a porch to cook under. The Supershelter has done me well. I have been to the mid 20's with no chill. Inside, I use my Coleman Max 0 deg bag as a top quilt.
          Other manufacturers sell everything separate. Then you have to blow big money on an underquilt to keep your backside warm. Then you need a bag or top quilt. Clarks and Warbonnets are awesome rigs, it was just more convenient and cost effective to run with the Hennessy. There are upgrades like whoopie slings and such that will get you addicted to the DIY world. If you have any more questions about hammocks, feel free to hit me up.

As far as porta potties, I bought a topper for a 5 gal bucket for $12 that snaps on top of the bucket securely. It has a lid and a seat. Just put a trash compacter bag in it and you are set. The rest of the time, i just set up a latrine for multi-day stays. I set up a few logs, Boy Scout style for comfort.

Here's a pic of my Hennessy:

The Bucket seat:

And here's a drawing of the multi day latrine:
          Last edited by familycamper; 07-19-2011, 11:56 PM. Reason: Added pics.

Comment

OMG! Seems you have really worked this out! Thanks for the info.

Comment

Campnewbie - I like your signature .
              Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Thanks glitter!

Comment

I've just recently started hammocking. I used these two sites to get started.

http://www.tothewoods.net/

http://hammockforums.net/

I made my own hammock and I bought a bug net from warbonnet. It works really well, and is well made. That website is,

http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/travelers.php

It looks like it out of stock right now, though. You could probably email the guy and see when he'll have some in stock.
                  "Like what you do, do what you like." - Life is Good Slogan

Comment

Originally posted by familycamper View Post
                    And here's a drawing of the multi day latrine:
                    Thats pretty clever!

Comment

Working...
                    X