Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermos and ice cubes

Greetings!
    I will go camping for about two weeks and I am going to fill my entire thermos with ice cubes. Will the ice cubes melt if the thermos is kept sealed for a week? I want to do that to store live bait for fishing (worms) and these require low temp to be kept alive.
    Cheers

Re: Thermos and ice cubes

Yes, even though the thermos will be sealed the entire time, because there isn't as much mass in an ice cube compared to a block of ice. For the best proof, before to go campin fill your thermos with ice cubes and see how long they will last. If the fish are striking, you'll be opening your thermos to get more bait and every time the thermos is opened heat has a chance to do it's thing....melt your ice. Best to buy a block and re-supply when that melts. Just my $0.02. Welcome to the campfire Jimmy, glad you came!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Cheers
      Guess I will change the ice every 3 days then. There is a village nearby our camping spot and they sell some ice there. I don't know any place around here which sells blocks of ice; just cubes.

Comment

If you have a larger grocery store most sell block ice. You can also make your own block ice too. Take an empty gallon jug of juice or milk, fill it 3/4 with water and put it in your freezer. Then when you go campin, you're prepared with your own ice. Get a few of these together and your ice blocks may last a week or more. Let us know if you catch any fish and share your camping experiences with us. This is a great place to hang-out when you're not camping!
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

just fill your thermos with water, leave more than enough room for bait, and put your thermos in the freezer. Remember, water expands when it freezes, so take that into account when filling, and leave the lid off while in the freezer. Won't last for the whole trip, but it will last longer than cubes.

Comment

Working...
          X