Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you like?

Howdy,

Okay tent campers, do you like going to RV sites so you can hear the gentle hum of generators at night or do you perfer to camp at tent only sites?
    RV sites but camping with ear shot?
    20.00%
    RV sites and camping next door to a RV?
    0.00%
    Tent only sites?
    80.00%
    None of the above? Stay home and not camp, just order pizza?
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I have only been camping for the last couple years, mostly by motorcycle with a couple buddies. We prefer State Campgrounds that have the tent spaces separated from the RV section. If done better, noise isn't a bad problem.
    I also like MC-only campgrounds - the tent areas are well away from the car/trailer and public gathering areas.
    Sometimes I sleep with foam earplugs, if I feel reasonaly safe - that cuts more noise too.
    SInce I do have CCW, my buddies know to wake me carefully..... :D

Actually, I'm usually the first up - being ex-military, I wake very early. We can be breakfasted, packed and gone before the RVers are up and about.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

My tent camping was 10 years of backpacking and my concerns were not RV and generators. if I could see another tent it was too close.
      2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
      2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
      I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

The poll to end all polls

Howdy Bigdog and jpurdy,

Thanks for voting and chiming in. I agree with both of you! The poll is looking good! But Bigdog57 you ride a bike doesn't it make noise? No offense intended, I figure its a harley because Bigdog wouldn't dig a yamaha(no kidding)? Thanks gentlemen for your votes!

Comment

Actually, I ride a Kawasaki KLR650 dual sport bike - a glorified road-legal dirtbike. I've ridden from Florida to North Carolina, Tennessee and Northern Alabama on different road trips, usually staying in State Campgrounds in route, and at MC-specific campgrounds at my destination.
          We roll in in the late afternoon generally, so noise isn't a real issue.
          My next camping trip is local - about fifty of us take over a YMCA summer camp during the MLK holiday weekend each year - we provide money for the camp to use for the kids the next summer. One of our members is their Operations Manager.
          We have the 12-person cabins available, but I prefer tenting.
          I find that the State Campgrounds usually have a 'quiet time' rule, and only had trouble at one - a young man strumming a guitar and singing - doing both BADLY. He finally passed out about three AM! SHEESH. :rolleyes:
          The hum of generators doesn't really bother me - six years in the Navy made me kinda like a nice steady 'background noise' - total silence bothers me more! Here, we get a lot of night noises - coyotes howling, owls, other critters prowling around.
          Since my 'backyard' is the Appalachicola National Forest, I often just grab the pack and head into the trees for some 'stealth camping', and sometimes use the bike to get further into the boonies.

Comment

I guess I shouldn't have answered so fast. I like tent sites only, but with wife, kids, pop-up and everything but the kitchen sink...RV site is a must, water and electric.

I wish tent camping was not such a pain with kids. I guess they...and I are pretty spoiled/ruined now. :D
            JohnJohn
            ---------
            Forum Admin

Comment

What do you like?...

Howdy JohnJohn,

Glad you see you again or at least read from you! Your info is okay about RVing. The only way to make tent camping easy for you and your spouse and children is to get them involved, yet you must be willing to do all the work! Let them do the planning and choosing colors but you have to setup camp, and cook and wash dishes. That's is why my bride still loves me, I do all the work when we camp, even though she always does do more than her fair share, and she is standing right behind me watching that I don't say the wrong thing. We raised six children on camping, fly fishing and kayaking. None of them live in Nevada anymore but most of them still like the outdoors. So that's one for RVs, the race is one!

Comment

What do you like?

Howdy John Purdy,

Backpacking for ten years, well for my 50th birthday I soloed the Grand Canyon from rim to rim(North to South). My wife(Paula) dropped me off and then drove around the canyon 200 miles and picked me up on the south rim. Back in my thirties I did it in 2 days, but it took me three days and now I've decided I'm not going to attempt it again for my 60th. Getting on in years and limits to the body by that kind of hike has lost it's glory for me!

So we still backpack some, high sierra and Bryce NP rim trail, but now we have no goal other than being able to be out in nature. It's better looking down at the grass instead of looking up at the grass.

Comment

I do expect, as I age, to someday get some form of RV. The idea of the "Toy Hauler" concept intrigues me - basically an RV that has a portion of it's inside set up to store one or two motorcycles. They are then parked outside to extend the living area.
                  Or maybe just a moderate sized RV with some form of rack or 'davit' system for the bike on back.

But, my experiences in RV's hasn't been good so far. I slept in one with my old landlord, when on a hunting trip to his cousin's place up in Georgia. First problem, the danged thing was parked so close to the highway, the backdraft from passing trucks swayed us...!! :eek:
                  Second problem was, Lester is cleaning his rifle for the next day's hunt, while telling me how he was kicked out of the Army for being 'pathological' and 'schizophrenic'.....

Uh huh.... I hid the ammo..... :rolleyes:

Moved off his property very soon after too. :D

Comment

What do you like

Hey BD,

Sounds like that old landlord that you use to know is not of sound mind! You did good to get out soon!

Comment

Working...
                    X