A few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions

When a campsite says it has a tent pad...what does that mean?

Has anyone ever camped at Moon Lake, Utah? I am thinking of planning a trip there next month. Are dogs allowed on the beach?

Has anyone ever camped near Montpelier, Idaho? Do I have to worry much about bears there? I know about getting rid of trash and keeping food sealed and locked up out of sight in the car...is that enough precaution for this area?

If I have lots of newspaper, do I really need a lot of kindling to make a fire? Or will just a few handfuls of sticks be enough to get the logs burning? (This question really makes me feel silly...but I really want to know so that I'm adequately prepared.)

I'm sure I'll have lots more questions as I am just getting into camping. I have my first solo trip planned this weekend so we'll see how well I've prepared.

Re: A few questions

I have hunted in the canyon between Preston and Montpelier. If you are camping up in the pines, there is plenty of deadfall. There should be plenty of sticks around for starting a fire, twigs etc. Just pick up some free newspapers (Thrifty Nickles) at the local convenience store.You don't have to worry about bears in Montpelier. Not a big bear area. Skunks will probably raid your food first. Just keep things put away.There are a few mountain lions but they don't raid camps. Just keep your pets nearby. A tent pad is a square framed of 2X4 lumber filled with dirt, sand or bark which is designated for the pitching of a tent in an organized campground. I believe that Moon Lake is up in the Uintas. It is a high mountain lake. If you are in an organized campground, I would imagine that there is a leash requirement while in the campground. You can check the regs on the beach rules since it is a national forrest area. But I would imagine that other frollicking campers don't want to step in ........ be considerate an you will be fine.
    Have a great trip.
    FlashLantern turns your flashlight into a lantern!

Comment

Working...
    X