New to Camping...how to handle dogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Camping...how to handle dogs?

So I am getting ready for my second camping trip ever as an adult. Friends forced me to go last month and I discovered that I actually really enjoyed it. I am planning to go again next weekend, but I will be going alone. I think my biggest concern (other than being female) is how to handle my two dogs. I would definitely feel safer if I brought them both along, but I am concerned about possible damage to my tent and also the fact that they tend to feed off one another when they get excited. Alone, they are both really good dogs and listen really well...but when they're together, if one gets excited or starts barking things can get annoying pretty quickly. Any suggestions to make my first solo trip a success? Should I just bring one dog?

Some quick info on the dogs
    Dog 1 - ~5 years old, 27 lbs, very obedient, very protective, doesn't like men
    Dog 2 - ~5 years old, 40 lbs, less obedient but won't leave my side anyway, somewhat of a chicken but seems scary because she growls for everything (play, potty time, dinner time, etc), doesn't like other dogs (except mine or teeny tiny chihuahuas lol)

Thanks!

(Any other tips would be appreciated as well. I have tried to read through most of the threads on here, and have done quite a bit of internet research but there's definitely no substitute for real experience.)

Re: New to Camping...how to handle dogs?

Camping is suppose to be a relaxing experience. The rules are a little different for camping alone vs camping with others. If you are alone and the dogs become difficult to control, you can pack up and come home. On the other hand, you may find that your dogs enjoy being out. You won't know until you try. I would suggest that you find a somewhat isolated spot so acclimating your dogs to camping won't disturb another's trip. Take some rawhide chew bones and toys so the dogs aren't bored. Make sure you take them on walks, let them run and get them tired. It will probably take several outings for your dogs to understand your expectations.
    FlashLantern turns your flashlight into a lantern!

Comment

t is of absolute importance that your dog's vaccinations be up-to-date, as dogs can encounter unvaccinated animals while camping. Dog licenses should also be current. And ask your vet about the areas where you will be camping/traveling, as some carry additional health risks for dogs and may warrant additional precautions.

Here are 5(five) easy things to remember when you decide to take your dog camping with you.

1) Always keep your dog on a leash:

This sounds so trite and as a dog owner you have heard it time and time again. But, it is one of the most common problems. There are a number of issues associated with letting your dog off-leash in a campground. First, they could get lost while running after a rabbit, deer, or coyote. Second, there might be a bigger, dog-aggressive dog tied up in the next campsite that could eat your dog for lunch. Third, you are giving the rest of us a bad rap and the campground might decide to ban dogs. Enough said, I hope.

2) Call ahead:

Even though campground guides may tell you that the campground accepts dogs. Be sure to call ahead, because many of them only accept dogs under 25 pounds or they charge per pet.

3) Clean up after your dog:

A friend has found that the bags sold for doggie do do are very expensive in pet stores. Instead, they use simple food storage bags from the grocery store. Not the kind with zipper seals, but the plain old gallon size food storage bags with twist ties. These are slightly larger than the pet store bags at less than half the price. The only drawback is that they are clear instead of colored, but you’ll get used to it!

4) Make sure your dogs don’t bark too much:

A lot of dog guides recommend that you stay home if you have a dog that barks too much. This is not fair, every dog should go camping. If you have a dog that barks his head off at the drop of a pin, you probably better spend some time training him. Try to give him treats whenever he stops barking upon command, eventually he will get the picture.

5) Dog aggressive or people aggressive dogs:

Again, everything I have read recommends that you keep these kinds of dogs at home. I disagree. Dog aggression and people aggression are often natural behaviors for dogs. The trick is to keep these dogs under ABSOLUTE control at all times. You must be diligent in this one, or someone or some dog could be seriously injured. Here is what I have learned from our friend's dog that is afraid of strangers and weighs 130 pounds.

a) Get a restraining collar that provides total control of your dog.

b) Please leash them outdoors at the campsite, always be outside with them.

c) Don’t take them for hikes on trails, this is asking for trouble.

d) Find a campground with spacious sites.

e) If you must take them in crowded situations, use a muzzle (but only use a muzzle sparingly).

f) Be vigilant at all times.

Following these five simple rules will allow you and your dogs to enjoy camping, while not creating any complaints from other campers. If you do receive a complaint for any reason, try to be bigger than the complainant - act calmly and address the problem. After all, you are going camping to enjoy life!
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Thanks guys. I hadn't thought about giving them baths after getting home. That's probably a pretty good idea. I also hadn't thought about vaccinations. They're both up to date, but I should probably bring records with me just in case.

I definitely won't be letting them off leash this trip. I have a couple of tie out lines that I will bring so that they can get some exercise around the campsite, and I plan on going hiking during the day.

Keep the tips coming...this is great!

Comment

I have another question as I am facing the same situation-taking my dogs along. My two are very small dogs. Most campgrounds here in NC require that dogs be leashed or tied at all times in the campground. All of them require you to be with your dogs at all times as well and none of them allow dogs in the bath houses. So my question is.....how is one supposed to go to the bath house for anything? If you can't leave your dogs but you can't take them in the bath house - what to do?
          I 'need' an Ipad to take with me camping!

Comment

Call the campground, the state park and check with them, that would be the safest thing to do, call ahead it's a very important point. You might have to make a decision about whether to leave your pets at home, in a kennel or not go camping. Most people that camp do so responsibly and check ahead if they have a pet and want to take it camping. Same with finding out if dogs are allowed on hiking trails, so do allow pets on trails and others do not. It's almost impossible for someone living in Nevada to know what the guidelines are for someone wanting to camp in Tennessee with their beloved pet. Call ahead!

Comment

So my first camping trip was a success - sort of. Thanks to the tips from this forum I was fairly prepared and able to have an enjoyable trip - although the campsite was pure mud the entire time and there was a huge hailstorm and rainstorm during my second night. I stayed nice and dry inside my tent and thanks to the suggestions about blankets and bath rugs and mats I was able to keep my tent fairly mud free. I have posted some pictures below. Turns out my dogs are much better behaved while camping than they are at home! (Sorry the pictures are so small...I wasn't sure how to make them bigger.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI1640.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	69356

Name:	DSCI1649.jpg
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	69357

Name:	DSCI1653.jpg
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	69358

Comment

No need to apologize for small images! Some campateers go through another hosting site( I use photobucket) to place their web ready photographs in the forum. The forum's picture wizard is very small. However, clicking on an image opens another larger image. Just the same, glad your campout was a success. And your pets proved your fears wrong and were great companions! Thanks for sharing! Nice campsite!

Comment

Originally posted by Keeba View Post
                  So I am getting ready for my second camping trip ever as an adult. Friends forced me to go last month and I discovered that I actually really enjoyed it. I am planning to go again next weekend, but I will be going alone. I think my biggest concern (other than being female) is how to handle my two dogs. I would definitely feel safer if I brought them both along, but I am concerned about possible damage to my tent and also the fact that they tend to feed off one another when they get excited. Alone, they are both really good dogs and listen really well...but when they're together, if one gets excited or starts barking things can get annoying pretty quickly. Any suggestions to make my first solo trip a success? Should I just bring one dog?

Thanks!

(Any other tips would be appreciated as well. I have tried to read through most of the threads on here, and have done quite a bit of internet research but there's definitely no substitute for real experience.)
                  Hi Keeba,
                  There are many things that you need to do first before you take your dogs camping with you.

Follow the points desertfox wrote about and I would add some more that I think are crucial as well.

1. Know your dogs behavior in strange areas first. This means taking them on some short trial runs, even a day trip to the location.
                  2. Strongly consider taking only one, at least the first time out.
                  3. Make sure you know about any postings of wild animals such as bears, etc in the area where you will be camping. Dogs will often agitate larger animals and can draw them to you.
                  4. Make sure your dog's vaccinations are all up to date.
                  5. I personally would not take my dogs unless they have are trained. Even on a leash, in a new environment, they will feel anxious - this is one reason taking trial runs with your dog is so critical. My dog went on day trips to the lake with me regularly and on day hiking trips with me so I knew her behavior around outside areas. When we camped, I had a fair expectation of how she would behave and whether she would stay very close to me or try to run off.

I write all of this, not to discourage you - I have had wonderful experiences with just me and my dog camping. You can do that as well. Just take the precautions so that your dog is comfortable and can enjoy the time with you and you can enjoy your outing.

Hope this helps.

Teri
                  "I don't like to trespass but sometimes you just find yourself over the line" - Bob Dylan
                  Car Camping - Your Escape Shuttle to a Cutting Edge Vacation

Comment

Working...
                  X