The greatest thing happened the other day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The greatest thing happened the other day

So, my friend(bro from another mom) and I went on a weekend camping trip at a local mountain/state park recently. After setting up camp, we decided to pack two day packs and head up the trail to the summit(about a 5 mile one way). We clear the first ridgeline of the mountain and I saw something off in the distance but thought nothing of it. About a hundred yards from the summit, and an awesome view, I looked to my right and realized what I had seen earlier. There were golden eagles, cooper's hawks, and red tailed hawks circling in the updrafts. I reached into my pack, grabbed my hammock, and tied off between a pine tree and a trail-side sign and commenced to enjoy the show for over an hour. It was absolutely hypnotic.

After ten years of enjoying nature in all its forms, I finally realized why I enjoy it so much. It's peaceful out there, in every way.

Re: The greatest thing happened the other day

Sounds absolutely wonderful. Glad that you stopped and enjoyed the hour.
    Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Owwwww!
      This is what it's all about!
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Pictures or it didn't happen....LOL J/K That sounds like an awesome scene to take in. Believe it or not we have a Bald Eagle nest not to far from us that a pair come into along the Llano river close to Llano Texas. I love watching the Red-Tailed Hawks follow me around when I am plowing, seeing them swoop in and grab little critters is awesome. They hang in the air and follow the tractor around the fields, it is really a sight to see.
        Los Cuernos Ranch on Facebook

Comment

LOL! Your story reminded me of one of our camping trips last year. It was dusk and we were hiking with our small 15 lb dog. Well, my husband looks up to see a couple of huge owls following us. We had never seen owls that big before. They looked big enough to carry us off, never mind the dog.

They were watching the dog intently and he was barking at them. We were a little nervous when they started to land closer and closer to us. My husband thought for sure that they were going to snatch the dog.

He ended up getting a big stick and waved it around trying to scare them off. These owls not only didn't scare, they almost seemed as though they were getting closer. We ended up picking up the dog and headed back to our campsite. The owls followed us for a good 20 minutes or so before flying off.

It was pretty weird and reminded me of the movie "The Birds" as those owls were so bold. My husband and I laugh about it now, but it wasn't too funny then.
          "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
          ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

I almost grabbed my camera from the truck but, big dummy me, I was worried about pack weight as it's near vertical in places and we often "deviate from blazed trails" as we have often been told is a bad idea by rangers. I should have taken the camera and left the beef jerky at camp.

Comment

Working...
            X