Recent issues concerning Tent - vs - RV camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent issues concerning Tent - vs - RV camping

I had received more than a few PMs lately concerning the friction between Ten camping and RV camping.

Folks, this is just a forum. Opinion is fine...just keep it civil. From what I can find it has been.

I have not intent of making CampingForums an tent only, or rv only camping site.

Moderators and other members are here to keep out SPAM and to alert us of those that can't be civil. Again from what I can find it has been. However if you feel like someone has wronged you, or your post has been deleted or modified please let me know, personally. Moderators are not here to edit content, just to delete SPAM, and stir the conversation. It's also a thankless and volunteer job they do for us.

I tent camping with my two sons who are Scouts. I also RV camp when my wife wants to tag along. If I want to spend a camping trip with my wife there are certain amenities that she must have. Criticize me, her or whom ever, just understand we are all to learn from each other.

Just because someone runs their generator at 11pm, or someone else flicks cigarette butts from their tent into the fire does not make them a bad person. It just means they are un-educated about common courtesy. Say your peace and move on.

There are RV sections of CampingForums. If you hate RV'ers don't post in those sections. Same goes for the tent sections.

God invented politics for us to argue about, not camping. PS: political discussions should happen in the Off Topic Forum.
    JohnJohn
    ---------
    Forum Admin

Re: Recent issues concerning Tent - vs - RV camping

Better to flick cigarette into fire rather than woods and start a forest fire.

Comment

excellent work Frank
      JohnJohn
      ---------
      Forum Admin

Comment

Excellent philosophy....I would like to be your moderator?....Oops, I already am! Thanks JohnJohn!
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I could see a little rivalry between RV and tent campers as good natured teasing, sort of like two friends rooting for rival sports teams. Not a bad thing.

Unfortunately, it really reflects poorly on the one that gets carried away with their response and complains about an entire category of campers because of the actions of a particular camper's habits. (even if it is a common habit)

Just an opinion.
          Gus

Comment

I don't understand,, what in the world could tent campers and Rv campers argue about ? here is how I look at it,,,, I am too poor to buy an RV so i camp with a tent,, I would love to have the luxuries an Rv provides, Provided you wish to stay in a KOA or other "campground", (boring) personally I prefer to camp in a wilderness setting,, but would be nice to have an Rv to tour around in,, but i promise , if i ever get an Rv,, I will have my tent,sleeping bag and mess kit with me , Just in case

Comment

I have had (and I'll bet most of us have) problems with BOTH tenters and RVers in campsites. It isn't the TYPE of camping they do, it's their basic natures. An idiot in 'real life' will be an idiot camper. Some we can educate to be better campers. :cool:
              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I don't understand,, what in the world could tent campers and Rv campers argue about ?
                For me, I camp to get away from people and the noise of everyday life. I usually notice that RVs are more likely to have barking dogs or a loud radio/tv so I tend to avoid camping next to them. However, now that I think of it, I have camped next to annoying tent campers as well. I think Bigdog said it best, "An idiot in real life will be an idiot camper". I think if everyone was a little more considerate to the campers around them we would all be better off.
                -Adam
                www.GetOutandGoCamping.com

Comment

i dont have a tent or a rv i take i tarp but only use it when needed and the places i go i dont see people too often if at all but in any case use what you have and have fun doing it thats all that matters

Comment

I am a moderator on another forum, and it is a thankless job, so THANK YOU to the mods here at CF!

Tent or RV, you are still getting out there and seeing the world! Respect for the outdoors and others is what matters. I personally don't need a toilet or a shower or a TV when I'm out there, but if that is what makes you happy, than that is all that matters!

Happy Camping!!
                    My Other Interest

Comment

Thank you Silver for your vote.

Anyone that camps in the off-season(other than summer) especially when the temperature drops below freezing on a regular basis and chooses to camp in a trailer or RV is just pretending to camp. Sure I have a heater, but use quiet propane, not the noisy generator! I choose to camp in a canvas tent year around, for me that's real camping! There are plenty of RV websites that cater to RV users, this site does not! In fact, there are campgrounds in our national parks, nation-wide, that allow only trailers and RVs, no tents. Likewise, there are only a handful of campgrounds, nation-wide that cater to just the tenter. There should be more! That's why we like disperse camping, I can go where I never have to see the scenery blocked by trailers or RVs.

I suppose if my bride of 35+ years wants to go camping, we'll do camping via tent. If you want an RV forum, go find one. A large camper I can camp kinda close to, not that close. But an RV....that's RVing! MAOW(mobile apartment on wheels).

The original thread that resulted in this thread being written was an attempt of an earlier RVer that had tried to insist that RV "camping" and tent camping was the same thing. I'm a died-in-the-wool tent camper; been tenting since I can remember. I have rented a RV once and tried camping that way and hated it. And those two ways of camping are not alike in any way shape or form. Perhaps I was a little harsh. But prefer to camp by tent.
                      Last edited by renodesertfox; 09-13-2011, 10:51 AM.
                      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I don't think it is right to assume that people who tent camp do it because they can't afford an RV. I'm working on convincing my DH to start car camping with a tent with me- I loved it growing up. I wouldn't want to sleep in an RV rather than a tent ( or better yet, under the stars).

Comment

As with any outdoor endeavor, the 'getting out and doing' is more important than HOW we do it! Many of us use different methods, depending on the type of trip.
                          On my MC rides, I take a wee bivy tent.
                          With the van, I can take a larger more comfy tent.
                          Or 'camp' in the van.
                          Or tow a small pop-up.

A buddy has a nice larger Toy Hauler TT - like a mobile motel room! But his wife prefers it.

But the important thing is, to get out and DO IT! :cool:
                          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

In my opinion camping is only done in a tent or less perhaps to the extreme of sleeping in the back of an SUV. even a tent for the back of a pickup truck counts in my view. "Camping" in the back of an RV is NOT camping, it's driving in a hotel room and sleeping in a warm and cozy bed. (you may as well stay home and save the money) again that's just my opinion.
                            Last edited by Awtted; 12-26-2011, 08:07 PM. Reason: misspeling and addition of opinion

Comment

Either tent camping or RV camping is adorable thing to enjoy the nature and have some refreshment. but for me, I prefer the former more as a camping tent is always easy to handle. you can set it up almost wherever you are and it is cheaper compared with RV, you may get a very good one at quictents.co.uk at the price of less than £100 . of course the RV has it advantages apparently. it doesn't matter which one you prefer, enjoy the happy hour matters most.

Comment

Working...
                              X