Just got back...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got back...

Well my plans got shortened by a day because of a family illness, but I still got out for one night away.

I decided to go to Cuivre River SP which is close to me. It's a medium sized campground about 25 miles from home. The fishing is usually just ok, and I've taken my boat there many times but not camped there. Since this was my first time camping in a LONG time I put in a bit of time researching a lot of things and felt I was pretty well prepared to give my new gear a trial run before heading out with my wife and possibly grandkids.

Things I wished I had or missed on the list:

1. Iron skillet with a lid - This was on the lists a few different places but I opted to just take a small non-stick since it was just me. The propane Coleman stove cooks hotter than I'm used to and the heat wasn't even at all with this little non-stick junker.

2. A stocking cap - It got down to 39*. I checked the weather and knew it was going to be cool, but I hadn't planned on how breezed this new tent would be. However, I did take plenty of blankets and made due ok. A stocking cap would have made things much easier for me since I'm on blood thinners and get cold easily.

3. A 2nd dish pan - Duh! It's nice to have a pan to rinse the soapy dishes in.

4. A way to hang clothes and/or a light in the tent. Fluff, I know.

Things I learned

1. The checklists I found here made all the difference in the world between a good time away with things running smoothly, and a stressful disaster. Thanks again!

2. You can't be too prepared.

3. Checklists are king.

4. At 47 with one major back surgery I opted to get a nice cot instead of an air mattress. This was a VERY good choice for me. I slept very well and feel fine.

5. When searching around for a campsite take note of other campers with yappy dogs and pick a site on the other end. Even then, have earplugs handy.

6. Don't forget to use your checklist.

7. Firewood can be hard to come. Have a plan ahead of time. I'm not sure how widespread the Emerald Ash Borer insect problem is, but we have firewood issues in certain parts of the state. They don't want to spread this little pest around. So campers here need to plan accordingly.

8. Take notes of things you're missing and add them to the checklist as soon as you can or you may forget what they were.

9. My Coleman Sundome is 10'x10'x6.5tall. It's nice to be able to stand up to pull on my pants. And once there's two adults and two small grandsons it'll still be tight.

Here's a pic of my site. Very basic, nothing fancy, and a nice time away from home under the stars.

Re: Just got back...

Sounds like although you had to leave early you had a good time. Thanks for sharing the report.
    Los Cuernos Ranch on Facebook

Comment

Now, that's a great campsite! Great report! Thanks for sharing! If ya got more, would love to see those too! Glad you had a great time even though your knoggin got cold! Springtime nights can still be chilly! I really love your report!
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Excellent post-camping report! We keep learning each time we go out. It's good to try different things and techniques to, to broaden our knowledge base.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I agree, Guitarzan, good update. BTW, as far as a frying pan, GSI makes a non-stick Pinnacle in two sizes that are 3rd Generation non-stick, even heating and you can use METAL utensils with them.We have the bigger 10.5" (inside flat) one, but I'd like to get the smaller 8-inch one too. Pricey of course, in like $25 and $30, but then good cast iron isn't cheap either, but it's sure heavy. Nice campsite, all the comforts of home!

Also, as far as not camping in a long time:
          Welcome back, where have you been, we missed you, have a cold one! :cool:

Last edited by tplife; 05-06-2011, 11:38 AM.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, tplife. I'll check into the GSI.

Comment

Great update, guitarzan and so glad ya got to do the good life ahead of me. Sorta. kinda .

When I don't drag my pot lid with me, I use a piece of aluminum foil instead.
              Thanks for reminding me I need more bunchee cords :D.
              about that rinsing, a lil capful o vinegar in the water will make those soapsuds *poof*. Vinegar is also good for disenfecting cutting boards. I'm always in a head slapping mode when i forget to bring it.
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Thanks for the report! I must admit, I chuckled a bit reading "Things I Learned".
                Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Great report! I always bring my flannel pj's when camping in the woods in the summer as I get chilly.

Makes me wish I could go camping too. Glad you had a great time!
                  "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
                  ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

Working...
                  X