Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Camping

Hi,

I am going to try my hand at camping this year, only been once, 30 or so years ago. My plan is to stay at a campground (tent), hike during the day, and return to the camp site. I am not new to hiking, just never stayed over in a campground (or in the back country). I am a single dad and plan on camping and hiking with my 18 year old son. I have a few somewhat "local" campgrounds in mind (I live in Michigan). Any advice of a camping "newbie"?

Thank you,

Tom

Re: New to Camping

There'll be tons of advice. My selected piece is: Just Do It.

Like you, I had been camping only once (a backpacking trip on the AT), about 30 years ago. One day last year I decided I was going to try camping. Went to REI on a Thursday & bought a tent and a sleeping bag. On Friday I read up on where I could find a campground & dayhike. And early Saturday morning I was on my way. I've learned a LOT since then. But if I had waited until I learned a lot ... and then went, I would've wasted precious time.

Get a tent, sleeping bags, and the "10 essentials" for hiking, most of which you'll need for camping anyhow. If you'll be in bear country, read up on what to do. Read the principles of Leave No Trace and follow them. Pack some food and clothes and just do it.
    Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Thanks for the advise!!

As a matter of fact, I stopped at REI yesterday on my way home from work and picked up a tent (I already have a sleeping bag and all the hiking gear). REI has a 20% off coupon for members (I have a membership that I started last year when I purchased my hiking gear), and I was able to use my "dividends" from last years purchases, so I got a great deal on the tent. Now all I have to do is go camping!!!

Tom

Comment

mi....congrats on trying campin! Please allow me to suggest a couple of things. For your first time out try to stay relatively close to familiar surroundings like a local state park. Keep your meals as simple as possible and lastly, remember that every camp out is just practice for the next one! Post up some feedback too when you return, it doesn't matter if your camping experience was good or bad, just wanna know how it went for you! Like GlitterHiker says...."Just do it!" Good luck!
        Last edited by renodesertfox; 04-06-2011, 06:01 AM.
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Think about what you will need to prepare a couple of meals, Stove, campfire, utensils etc., pack a bag with some toiletries and go. Just have fun. As Reno said pick a place close to home and have fun. Have the adventure sometimes is forgetting something and having to improvise.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement!!! I'm anxious to start this new adventure in my life!!! I'm looking forward to being part of this great community of campers/hikers.

Thanks again,

Tom

Comment

There are five basics to camping: 1) stay warm 2)stay dry 3)sleep comfortable 4)eat well 5)stay clean.
              Design your equipment purchases in mind. For instance, experiment at how with what type of matress/cot you can sleep on comfortably. If your nights are miserable, you won't return for another campout. As you get more experience, you will upgrade your equipment to add to the quality of the five basics. Do your homework and ask yourself if you have addressed all five.
              FlashLantern turns your flashlight into a lantern!

Comment

No advice per se; it seems pretty well covered above. Just a welcome and I'm sure you'll enjoy this progression in outdoor exploration .
                2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
                  remember that every camp out is just practice for the next one!

Ever since I joined this forum and read these words, they stay in my head. So true!

mi, have a great time! We want to hear all about it!
                  My Other Interest

Comment

Bring plenty of food, drinks, board games or music to listen to. Radios are a must, plenty of clothes.
                    Enjoy your time out and welcome to the board!

Comment

My advice, especially since you are taking your son, is to make it fun. If one/both of you do not have fun, there will not be the next camping trip to make memories and spend time together.
                      Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Working...
                      X