sleeping bag idea??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sleeping bag idea??

hey guys, i am a new member, but i have some camping experince. i had an idea and would like your opinions on it.

for most of my trips i use a 0 degree mummy bag, although it can be to heavy for summer camps. i would like a 40 degree bag but i am kinda strapped for cash. so this is my idea take a casualty blanket [http://www.amazon.com/G-I-Olive-Alum...871991&sr=8-2]

and a wool army blanket and use them together. i have tried this idea at home several times and it seamed to work. i am pretty much a gear minimalist, so if this idea would work it would be great.

thanks, jim

Re: sleeping bag idea??

In moderate temps,I like the basic GI wool blanket too. It rolls up compactly for motorcycle carry, and I usually have my air matress rolled up with it. When the temps drop under 50 degrees though, something stouter is needed - I have a heavier blanket that is still much more compact than a sleeping bag. Being a Big Guy and one who tends to roll and move around a lot, the tighter sleeping bags are NOT to my liking!
    I do use the heavy sleeping bag when car camping in colder weather. But I unzip it to use as a thick blanket. :cool:
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

the big thing with this idea is the casualty blanket, it is like a big space blanket on the back of a tarp

Comment

The thing to be careful of with any 'space blanket' is condensation - if you sweat inside it and get wet, it could worsen your situation in colder weather.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I like the idea Therma rest has with the sleep pad, sleep pad cover sheet with a comforter that attaches to the pad cover around the edges. It seems like a better idea than a mummy style bag that constricts you from some movement. Even though I just bought a Snug pak lite that has lots of room and packs up small.

Comment

Hmmm...I would be afraid of sweating/condensation with the casualty blanket. What's your budget? What about a regular ol' camp bag from LL Bean, or even a Coleman, if you're not going to be using it too often? My mom swears by a wool blanket for cold weather, so if you're going to pack light, I'd go for a wool blanket or two, and maybe a polar fleece blanket?

Comment

Yea, take a wool blanket and a cheap flannel-lined sleeping bag from Walmart.
              FlashLantern turns your flashlight into a lantern!

Comment

I agree with the Walmart idea. But for camping in the 40` to 50` range I think the flannel-lined bag might be enough, without the extra blanket. But if space or weight aren't an issue, you could always take the blanket too and sleep on it instead of under it.

Comment

I am a big guy myself and I have found that I am really comfortable using a warm weather bag ( that I unzip and lay on) with a big polar-fleece blanket. Take a trip to your local wal mart and look at the fabrics they sell and also a local fabric stor and you might turn up a big piece of fleece. I got a piece that was a remnant, it is abouy 10 feet long and 5 feet wide, I can tuck my feetin and wrap up in it and I am toasty warm without weight, plus it is great in the 40* and warmer situations. In really warm weather I just lay on the bag and roll up in a sheet.

Comment

I would also be worried about the issue of condensation. I didn't see it suggested but a poncho liner. I used one during my military days and I have two that I carry when camping. They are light weight and can pack down to next to nothing and you wouldn't think about it from the feel or from the look at it but they are pretty warm. I think with that and a wool blanket you will be nice and toasty.
                    Los Cuernos Ranch on Facebook

Comment

For temps that don't dip below 50, I would recommend a simple fleece bag. You can get them from Wallyworld for ~$15, and add your wool blanket if it gets a bit colder.

For a great 45degree bag, I just picked up a Kelty Lightyear 3D for ~$55 at Sportsmans Warehouse.
                      Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Working...
                      X