canteen cup lid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• canteen cup lid

Hi, I'm new to camping...haven't even made my first trip yet...busy buying all the gear...(not easy with a baby on the way mind you...) and I keep seeing these canteen cup lids all over the place...these confuse me because the canteen cup is all about convenience...it tucks onto your canteen untill you need it...barely even exists...but this lid...i cant think of a good way to stow it when not in use on the canteen...this goes for both the rubber(drinking) and steel(straining) varieties... :confused:

My question is this: Could someone please tell me what I'm missing?? Is there a good way to stow this conveniently or do you sacrifice the convenience and riffle through your main pack for the lid in which case i think your better off just grabbing your mess kit... :confused:

Also is there a good place to get military issue canteen cups and stove stands?? I made the mistake of going through "Sentry Tactical"...their advert made it seem like I was buying military grade gear...instead I got mismatched MiC(Made in China) gear... :(

(side note: is there an alternate board theme that i can use where text boxes are more visible?? all this white with no break is killing my eyes)

Re: canteen cup lid

Welcome to camping and our little forum!

I like using Military Surplus gear too, as I am ex-military.
    Brigade Quartermasters is a top-notch shop to get the 'real deal' from......

http://www.brigadeqm.com/cgi-bin/tam...tore/index.tam

Their canteen gear......

http://www.brigadeqm.com/store/qsear...?query=canteen

Hope you find what you need here.

Basically, I just use the plastic canteen, the stainless steel cup (which the canteen nests inside) and the nylon cover pouch. I use the KISS method of camp cooking - it all goes into the SS cup and gets heated. My worst problem is keeping the oblong-shaped canteen cup stable on most small camping stoves.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

i tend to agree...it is a bit wonky...that's why i went for a full set including stand...gives you a comfortable way to support the cup over whatever stove you wanna use...problem is that "Sentry Tactical" sent me this tiny tiny MiC stand that is like an inch smaller in circumference than the cup it's meant to go around...which sadly is also MiC... >.< thanx for the tip btw...

Comment

It's a good choice if you camp alone, but it's no substitute for a GSI or Mirro nesting pot set.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

lolz...maybe it's my training but i believe in having a redundancy for your redundancy...so while we'll have a multi-person mess setup...we'll also have individual options...heh...

Comment

Most times when I camp with buddies, we each do our own cooking/meal preps. I prefer a small propane cartridge stove (very quick and easy), one buddy likes his 'Whisperlite' white gas stove though it tends to be cantankerous and I have my meal cooked and eaten by the time his stove is finally going. Hehehe.
            I use Mountain House freeze dried a lot, others use different foods.
            As we mainly camp by motorcycle, I tend to keep two filled canteens and at least on SS canteen cup on the bike at all times, along with a wee folding Esbit Stove and solid fuel - in case I have to spend the night in the woods. Some 'emergency food' always rides along too.
            Last edited by Bigdog57; 02-23-2011, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Yeah...defo gonna get an esbit or two...tried recently making a coke alchy stove...think i buggered it as it wont ignite...plan to get one or two pro alchys...a propane down the road...and of course nothing beats having a thousand and one ways to create a fire with just your body and the environment you are taking up residence in...

Comment

You're lucky everybody does their own thing! I even have to bring along the larger Mirro pot for steaming. Whether it's the daughter's teenager bunch or my own hunting group, once they tasted my wife's cooking I never had to pay for the campsite or liquor or any extras - as long as I brought along her meals, that was enough - just provide a headcount. I had the good fortune to not only marry a trophy wife, but a gourmet cook (asian) to boot! :cool:
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

lolz...mind you not all Asian's are killer cooks...my ex girlfriend for instance...heh...guess I don't gotta worry about the camp grounds or liquor...because we're choosing budget/free sites and because we're all 100% sober...heh...altho if that ever changes I'll hafta keep what you said in mind...heh...

Comment

update: my brother got a USGI canteen cup and my stand works for him...so as it turns out the MiC stands work fine...it's just the MiC cups that are total rubbish...guess I'll wait for the surplus to get another USGI cup...heh

Comment

Can't add anything of substance to this thread since I'm now a hardcore dyed,fried,laid to the side "glamper".One of my current obsessions is looking fer a stackable version o these: http://www.crateandbarrel.com/dining...-glass/s160779 to go camping with so you ken see I'm quite far gone to the darkside hehehehe.

Still, just wanted to say Hiya and thanks for making me laff at self and with others .

tplife-I hope your DW will be sharing recipes on the site, as I'm currently continuing my all things Asian whilst camping fixation. A camping trip without a cooking theme is anathema 2 me, LOL
                      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

lolz...I'm quite sure I'm in a minority in this...but I see me and my party doing everything from park+car camping to deep wilderness depending on the kid situation and foodstuffs we have stocked at the moment...just so long as you have earth under your feet and the exhalation of the trees in your chest it's camping from where I stand...(so yeah I accept RVing and in city camping...lolz)

Comment

Some like the aluminum cups for lighter weight, but I prefer the stainless steel - stronger, easier to clean food residue out of, and the weight difference is negligible unless you are doing serious long-distance hiking.

Comment

We carry a small water purification system so we really don't worry about a water supply as long as there is a puddle somewhere to collect water. Day-hiking we carry personal camel packs. In camp we drink our beverages from ceramic coffee cups, wine from stemmed and un-stemmed glassware and liquor from glass shot glasses. We never worry about breakage, because we don't and we usually 4x4 into remote sites! I'm too crippled now to backpack any longer, caused by jumpin' out of perfectly good airplanes, too many times, as an Army Ranger! HaHa! Oh, yeah....welcome to the forum Stephini! Glad you're here when you're not campin!
                            Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                            Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by Stephini View Post
                              lolz...I'm quite sure I'm in a minority in this...but I see me and my party doing everything from park+car camping to deep wilderness depending on the kid situation and foodstuffs we have stocked at the moment...just so long as you have earth under your feet and the exhalation of the trees in your chest it's camping from where I stand...(so yeah I accept RVing and in city camping...lolz)
                              As a frmr bicycle camper, panniers, poleless pup tent and all, I hear you.
                              However one wants to enjoy the great outdoors, is a good thing from my POV.
                              Still, since I'm the only avid camper in my family, I've learned to go with the flow and make it as easy as possible for the others to enjoy and return again.
                              I still want to walk a bit more of the Appalachian Trail before I leave this earth and if I have to do it solo, so be it..

Oh. And I don't camp IN the city- I just live there, LOL!
                              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
                              X