Synthetic or Down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synthetic or Down?

I am shopping for a sleeping bag, which will be used while backpacking, bicycle touring, motorcycle camping. I am trying to keep the price as low as possible, but want something that will suit my needs the best.

What are some advantages/disadvantages of synthetic or down insulation?

LiveStrong

Re: Synthetic or Down?

Back on page # 9 in this same sub-forum, I composed this short piece. I guess it needs repeating. Here ya go...just my $0.02.

Down Fills versus Synthetic Fills

The warmth and insulating properties of any sleeping bag are related to what material, and how much, it is filled with. You will have two basic choices of fill: synthetics or down.
    Down Sleeping Bags

Down sleeping bag models will be more expensive than synthetics, but last longer and are warmer. As any duck or goose could tell you, feathers are a terrific insulator. Add to this down's warmth-to-weight ratio and you have a winning combination. Backpackers and cyclists will especially appreciate the weight factor of down-filled sleeping bags.

Down sleeping bags are rated according to their fill power: 650 cubic inches per ounce means that one ounce will fill 650 cubic inches of space. A rating of 500 to 550 is pretty standard; a 750 to 850 fill rating is considered excellent. As fill power increases, so does price. When considering a particular down sleeping bag, evaluate it carefully according to the season you'll be outdoors.

Down sleeping bags are filled with one of two kinds of down: goose or duck. Downs of equal fill power perform equally well, and there is nothing inherent in goose down to make it better than duck down. But the best goose down has a higher fill power than the best duck down, which tops out at about 550 cubic inches per ounce. Check the fiber content labels on the down sleeping bags to make sure you're purchasing the right down fill.
    Synthetic Sleeping Bags

Synthetic-filled sleeping bags are a cheaper alternative to the down-filled sleeping bag varieties. They appear on the market in an ever-expanding variety, but essentially all are packed with some kind of proprietary fibers (whether chopped or continuous filament).

Synthetic sleeping bags are not as warm for their weight as down-filled sleeping bag equivalents, and they don't last as long. On the upside, they are less expensive and are more resistant to wetness. When wet, they also retain some insulating value; sodden down-filled sleeping bags do not. Down sleeping bags also hang on to moisture longer, which can add extra weight—and may contribute to night-time discomfort if the sleeping bag hasn't had a chance to dry.

All sleeping bags are rated according to seasonal temperatures:
    • 40° = Warm weather (Summer) (1 1/2 pounds)
    • 20° = Three season (Spring, summer, and fall) (3 to 4 pounds)
    • 0° = Cold weather (Early spring and late fall) (3 to 4 pounds)
    • -15° = Cold weather (Winter) (6 pounds)

This guide is only representative because some people adapt to temperatures differently than others. Sleeping bags are rated for the average male, sleeping in a tent on a sleeping mat. As a generalization, women tend to sleep colder. Most people find sleeping bags rated for 20°F quite satisfactory for most conditions. If you're the type of person that gets colder than others at night and needs more covers, then go one step up in a sleeping bag's insulating capability. The info here is added over the years of camping, I'm really not saying anymore than a good salesman would share. My dad, RIP, sold camping supplies for Coleman for 43 years! Good luck and happy sleeping!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

LiveStrong, goose down is the highest insulating material known to man - there is no synthetic equivalent. Manufacturers mimic its insulating capacity in a variety of ways, but in the end they can't insulate or compress as well nor do they have anywhere near the length of use. I have two US-made goose down bags manufacturerd in the late '80s still in continuous use today that are just as new in loft and insulating value - but these are $320 bags that would cost $400 today. I have had good luck buying goose-down bags from manufacturers like A16 and Marmot for 60% off MSRP through Ebay, but even at that price point we're talking close to $200. For your needs, a quality synthetic bag from Sierra Designs or NorthFace any quality brand name should suffice for half the price - but at 1/4 the life expectancy. This is why down bags are actually cheaper, in the long run, than synthetics. Another advantage of down is that it has a quality of adjusting to the sleeper's preferences, i.e.; warm sleepers are warm and cold sleepers are cold, and this natural materal has a quality difficult to describe or explain. And goose sure are good eating!

Almost forgot to mention, some of my down bags have GoreTex covers - waterproof and breathable!
      Last edited by tplife; 02-16-2011, 04:55 PM.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

All things considered, I go with synthetic. I do not camp in sub-freezing weather, so a good synthetic bag fills my needs quite nicely, and since rain and condensation are big factors here in the South, the better drying qualities of are appreciated.
        Price is a big factor too - the most expensive bag is often simply too much of a good thing, and the wallet doesn't need the extra strain.
        Often, I find a good blanket of better use for me than a bag too.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I have both kinds of sleeping bags. Depending on the weather and what is predicted. Of course, they all fit in a large water-proof duffel bag, so we are prepared for any kind of weather, always!
          Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
          Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

With the varieties of use you mention, I would suggest a synthetic bag. The main advantage to "down" is light weight. The main disadvantage to "down" is if it gets wet, it is useless for keeping you warm.

That said, I have two down bags I backpack with: One rated at 15 degrees I use for warmer seasons, and one rated at 0 degrees I use for winter backpacking. When I go winter backpacking, I take a waterproof bivy sack, which adds another 10 degrees of warmth. If there is threatening skies, even in the tent, I put the bag inside the bivy because I know that if that bag gets wet, I'm in for a very, very uncomfortable night.

On the other hand, we travel in our van with synthetic bags - easier to wash and clean!
            Chuck
            So. Oregon
            TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
            TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
            SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Thanks for the input everybody!

A couple days ago I ordered a 15deg down bag online. I found it on steepandcheap.com , and was quite a reasonable price for that bag. It arrived yesterday, hopefully I will get a chance to test it soon.

Comment

Working...
              X