Help choosing a Thermarest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help choosing a Thermarest

TPlife has won a convert. I need help picking out a Thermarest. I don't care how much it costs I just want to be comfortable. I was looking at their website and they have three mattresses that are designed for comfort. The Dream Time, Luxury Map and Base Camp. Here's a link http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-re...mfort/category Does anyone have experience with any of these? The Dream Time is the most expensive but is it the best one? Also are they all closed celled? It doesn't say.
    May you always have love to share,
    Health to spare
    And friends that care.

Re: Help choosing a Thermarest

Any self-inflator MUST be open-cell foam, otherwise it could not 'breath'. They must be using gold thread - they sure are proud of them........
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I don't know how wide you are at the shoulders, but that was an issue for me. I have a thermorest trail lite, the lite blue one (can't remember that ones name), a goverment issued surplus "cascade design's" And also a Alps Mountaineering XL sleeping pad. I personally like the Alps the best, cause I can fit on it. With the narrow width of the therma rests they seem like I am laying on a board.
      About the best advice I can give, is go to your local sporting goods store and try them out there. Actually get them out and lay one them and see which one you like the best.
      The manufacture also suggests storing them unrolled with the valves open. So I just threw mine under my bed for storage.

Comment

Like BD said, they're all open-cell. The closed ones are the thin things you see sold for around $20. Like Shawn suggested, really, seriously, do try one out at a store first or get a good return policy (internet buyers should consult www.resellerratings to make sure the price is right and the seller's not a crook). What he didn't say is that ThermaRest pads are sold in three widths, 20", 25", and 30" (like his Alps XL). The best of the knockoffs out there, IHO, (Sorry REI! The CampBed large is a tad short at 72 X 25 X 2.5 but a good value at $76), The Alps XL pad, at $108.00 (30 X 77 X 3) is a good choice if you really need a 30" wide pad, although it only carries a 1-year warranty. Alps copies each ThermaRest line with only one model, so you better like it! LIke the ThermaRest models, it includes the stuff sack (although Dream Time uses straps). AFA ThermaRest (made by Cascade Designs), DreamTime is the whole enchilada, but for $190 in L (77X25X3.5) and $209 in XL (77X30X3.5) it better be! Washable cover, memory foam, etc. The Base Camp L $80(77X25X2) is the model we have three of (My ThermaRest motorcycle pad is a GuideLite R) and for myself, 6' tall, 34-inch waist and 175# it is perfect - but this is camping. If you're heavier and wider you "might" prefer a bigger, thicker, etc. The XL $100 (30X77X2) is the one if you can't fit well on a 25" pad. For 38% more money, the LuxuryMap might be compared to the Alps XL since they are both 3" pads. If you weigh more than say 190# this thicker-by-one-inch pad may be what you want, unless if again 25" is too narrow for your frame and the XL is just that at 30" wide. For my money, if I wanted more than the BaseCamp, I'd spring for the extra $22 and go with the Luxury Map and sleep better with the lifetime warranty - but I'm a stickler for quality and warranties. :cool: PS, if you're buying two, don't forget the "coupling kit" elastic bands that keep the two mattresses close enough for a puppet show...
        Last edited by tplife; 01-24-2011, 10:45 AM.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
        X