Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on Choosing a Parka

KEEPING WARM
    The main principle of cold-weather dressing is to trap layers of warm air near your body. Air held in place by tiny fibers, is the only effective body insulator. The greater the trapped 'dead air space' the greater the garment insulation properties. Many thin layers are often better than a single thick one. Also the whole body should be covered evenly. A goose down parka will not keep you warm in sub-zero conditions if you are wearing jeans.

Vigorous activity requires undergarments that wick perspiration away from the skin so it can evaporate without leaving a clammy, cold feeling. Depending on conditions, layers can be built up including thermal leggings and tops, fleeces, goose down or synthetic insulated parka and pants and finally the outermost layer should be windproof to keep cold air out. It should also have adjustable fastenings to close off the waist, sleeves, and the face of a parka hood.

The head is a major areas of heat loss, so a thick, warm hat and scarf or a thick parka hood are essential. Where different items of clothing meet at ankles and wrists, prevent bare spots by interleaving the layers.

The extremities,fingers, ears, toes, and nose freeze first. Good heavily insulated footgear is crucial. Boots should have an insulated bottom liner and allow you to wear heavy wool socks over your regular socks without any feeling of tightness. Circulation to hands and feet must be kept completely free; anything that feels tight will soon feel frozen. Protecting fingers is difficult as they are in constant use. Layers again work with silk gloves inside thin skier's gloves inside loose, more heavily insulated mittens. A ski mask with holes for your eyes and mouth protects the face, In extreme conditions a down mask can be worn.

Parkas constitute one of the most basic survival elements for the extreme outdoors. They bear the brunt of the weather and wear, keeping you warm, dry and safe from hypothermia. A good fit is crucial to the parka's ability to protect you from the elements. If the fit is too tight, you will compress the fill and loose the insulating benefits. If it is too loose, the heat loss will be very rapid, again loosing the insulating qualities you seek. A good fit requires proper wind seals occur at the neck, hood, sleeves and waist. The sleeves should extend over the wrist to trap the warmth. Pay close attention to the way a parka fits around the neck. Wind reaching the bare neck and chill you quickly. A good parka will have a tunnel collar that seals the neck area, and a hood that attaches below the collar with a drawcord that pulls it close around the face.

Look for a durable external shell that will resist snags and protect you against the wind. This should be followed by an internal breathable lamination of Gore-Tex or similar. Next comes the insulating layer. As with sleeping bags, there are two types of basic insulation. Down is a natural fiber with excellent insulating qualities. Unfortunately, it looses most of its insulating qualities if it gets wet. Synthetics can insulate almost as well as down but will retain approximately 85% of their insulating ability when wet. The most popular synthetics today are Thinsulate, Primaloft and Quallofil. There should be an internal liner of either nylon or cotton.

Where weight is not a consideration, a parka should have plenty of pockets, including cargo/hand-warmer pockets large enough to fit a hand wearing gloves or mitts. The Inuit have known for centuries that nothing beats a fur ruff to protect the face from wind and blown snow. There are many types of synthetic fur available but unfortunately only real fur will stop ice sticking to the ruff. A well-designed ruff will create a hot-air pocket in front of your face, and even if you walk against the wind, it will keep your face comfy warm. Condensation forms on the fur, but shake it, and the ice will fall right off. Look closely at the clothes of polar adventurers they almost always have a fur ruff on their parkas. they are nuts. Sadly enough popular sentiment seems to keep companies from producing good modern parkas with decent fur ruffs. So far the only good parkas are those produced in Canada. The only problem is that they are very bulky, and heavy, hardly appropriate for winter trekking.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Re: Suggestions on Choosing a Parka

Thank you for the parka reminders, RDF! A sad sign of the times to be sure, but FUR is one of the greatest renewable resources known to man - right up next to goose down! As a former trapper I assure you we didn't abuse or mistreat our game in the field. PS, I've never ever gotten my parka so soaked that the goose down lost its insulation - and I've spent my share of miserable winters in the upper midwest without a car...
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Personally, I like my Realtree Parka - it doubles as a hunting parka and fits the bill for a cold weather camping parka.

It has:

Lots of pockets
      Hood
      2 piece construction - water repellent shell and liner

Comment

When I hunted in Southeast Alaska, they recommended that I bring nothing insulated with down. It rains a lot and they say down is slow to dry out. We dressed in layers, polyester, fleece, thinsulate, etc. No parkas. Further north, maybe different.
        When I awoke, the Dire Wolf
        Six hundred pounds of sin
        Was grinning at my window
        All I said was, "Come on in".

Comment

Parkas have been sold for many years covered with GoreTex, and while it is too noisy to my liking for hunting, it is 100% breathable and waterproof.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
          X