Camping with a gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping with a gun

I was thinking about those escaped convicts that were caught at an Arizona campground a couple of months ago... how many people here camp or hike with a gun?

I'm not sure I would like to add the extra weight on my hikes, but there are some sketchy people out there in the desert (I've seen them with my own eyes )

There are two camps or beliefs along this question. Those that do pack and those that don't pack. In almost all campgrounds firearms are not permitted and that can get a person in deep kimchi if a weapon is drawn in public. Those that pack, keep it to themselves and those that don't, ask questions.

Dispersed camping the same holds true. This forum is not a sounding board for either way of thinking. I'm just trying to walk the middle ground, but I have a concealed permit and carry when in bear country. We also have pepper spray too. But we have never had an encounter with bears.

Yes, convicts in a campground gives a person pause to think about it. But life is a gamble everyday too. Anyone of us could be hit by a car just crossing the street. What that incident teaches is that when ever anyone is out camping one should always keep their wits about them and have a plan of survival. 'nough said. :(
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 10-18-2010, 04:37 PM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I own quite a few guns however I've never taken one camping unless I planed to enjoy some plinking. I also keep it locked in my truck unless I'm out plinking with it.
      I can't remember ever taking a gun on a hike although I remember one time I was out hiking alone and found what I was pretty sure were fresh mountain lion tracks and really wished I had brought one. Turned out I made it back to my truck without ever running into the big cat but I was just to nervous to enjoy that hike.

Comment

In state, I am never without a handgun. Out of state, it may be a different matter, depending on circumstances.....
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Tplife's NRA and knows the law, he's never without anywhere unless he's overseas in foreign lands. Besides, we camp in cougar country! I always carry (legally) when I travel or fly domestic air. I've got a stack of my FFD (Federal Firearms Declaration) tags to prove it too! :D
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

We bring a shotgun with us. But we have it more for protection from bears than people. But up here I think just about everyone has a gun of some sort. You don't even have to have a concealed carry permit up here.
            May you always have love to share,
            Health to spare
            And friends that care.

Comment

I think of it no differently than going to the grocery store. If you carry than you carry. You are probably less likely to encounter bad guys in the woods however your vulnerability is increased. I love my family and will always be prepared to protect them. Not to be critical of any other postings, but leaving a gun locked in the car doesnt make much sense in my opinion. First its somewhat inaccessible if you need it quickly and it is the most likely place to get it stolen from.

Stay safe everybody!

Comment

I've never carried a gun and wouldn't even know how to shoot one. That being said, I camp alone a lot or with just my dd and have been thinking about maybe doing some research and going to the shooting range with my son. Just not on the top of my priority list yet.

Comment

Trish, I would suggest taking a good NRA-certified firearm course. Even if you never own one, it's a skill set worth having.

I really enjoy teaching women to shoot. They come in with no preconceptions, and no desire to 'show off' like the boys do. No nonsense trying to emulate some 'urban hero' from the movies. When a woman makes the serious decision to learn to shoot, she is all business. She takes direction and applies it. Nearly always, they will be far better shots and far safer gun handlers than the men.
                  Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

It's something I'm seriously looking into. I guess I'll start with googling NRA certified course. Thanks!

Comment

I'm in AZ and was born and raised here. I grew up in 4x4s with coors light and guns all around me (great mix right?) so I never really thought *not* to bring a gun with me. In most cases, you should think of the reasoning for it. If it's for a bear, you are almost better off with pepper spray than a gun, unless you have a REALLY big gun, because shooting at it will just tee it off. I went to blak rivver about a month ago and we saw 3 on the drive and prints all around with half eaten fish, so I usually keep a close eye. Most bears are more scared of you than you are of them, unless you startle them. It's the people that tend to worry me sometimes. Some people like to camp, like me, others do it out of necessity and those are the ones I watch. Anyone coming to your camp at night and that didn't announce themselves from a fair distance, most likely has ill intent. Those are also the ones that would watch your camp and use your own gun on you though.... I'm not trying to be cynical or anything, but most people that are shot in their homes during a robbery are done with their own gun (At least that is what I have heard). Now that I wrote it, I should probably google that stat instead of propagating some wives tale...

My 2 cents is that they are a lot of fun if used safely and properly, but for protection, you need to be careful and knowledgeable.

Comment

We hunt mulies and bear in D7 and my .223 makes a very large hole out the other side. I think my 9mm Corbon loads will do more than make a bear angry in camp, besides, typically just the report will make shy Yogis scatter - no need to point unless things get rude! :D I never put much faith in pepper sparay after having patrolman's model canisters for defense years ago. :mad:
                        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Re: Camping with a gun

I always camp with my two best buddies Heckler and Koch.

Comment

I always have something close to hand. I have only drawn it once, with intent to use it. Just so happened that today was that day. We were on Federal Forest land, which was next to private property. This guy decided to park his back hoe on the trail, because as we all know, people who own land next to federal forest land think they own it all. We were looking to see if we could get our ATVs around the backhoe without going onto private property when the owner of the house turned his dogs out. They came straight for us. One wasn't so bad, but the other was a very P.O.'d chow type. The other guy I was riding with, saw me get out my .44 and got behind me, so the dog would come to me first. I thanked him for that little move later on. The dog came up to about 20' of us, but it was nice to know that I wasn't going to be mauled. I am really glad I didn't have to shot someones dog, as I am sure the outcome of that would of been bad.
                            I agree with TP about a 9mm not being a very good choice. I went with a .44 mag to knock down a bear, moose, elk or mountain lion. Taurus makes a .44 mag which is pretty light. More for backpacking and fly fishing.
                            I also take a shotgun with me when I camp. The first shell is bird shot for a warning. The next 4 are 00 buckshot. I camp and ride ATVs in the rocky mountains, so for me, it is better safe than sorry.

Comment

9mm with hydrashock's is all the power I need

Comment

Working...
                              X