"The Vagabonds"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Vagabonds"

I found this interesting little article, detailing the early car & tent camping trips by Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, Harvey Firestone and John Burroughs.
    They took a 'Lincoln Kitchen Truck' and other trucks to carry the gear, but used mainly tents for themselves.
    Looks like a major expedition - but I'll bet the old boy's really loved it!

http://www.henryfordestate.org/vagabonds.htm

And here is an article on the only known surviving 1937 Ford Housecar - an early RV. It was still in use when this article was written in 2001! A very cool old vehicle!

http://www.gtamarketing.com/1937FordHousecar.html
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

What a great article! Thanks for sharing!
    "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
    ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

Great! And of course, Ford brought the charcoal - kingsFORD charcoal, made using Stafford's patent and with wood scraps from Ford sawmills around Iron Mountain, Michigan. E.G. Kingsford was a distant Ford relative and onetime manager of the charcoal plant. Ford and Edison had summer homes in Ft. Myers, Florida where you can view more of this material. I have visited the homes/museums in Ft. Myers. As a career chemist myself, Edison's chemistry lab was very humbling and left me in tears.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

That would be the ride of a lifetime-I'd give up a ride on the shuttle for it.

Comment

Working...
        X