Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New in many ways.

Hey folks,

I'm a 19 year old college student in Wisconsin, and I am completely new to camping and these forums both! I've always loved the outdoors, and for some time have wanted to go on the cliche "college camping trip" with some friends.

I know I could go to Rutabaga or Gander Mountain and get general advice about this stuff, but I'm hoping to get it from more experienced people. Basically what I want is a real, in depth, bare minimums trip. I'm not looking for a "hard core" camping trip, but I want to bring very few things including: tent, brown rice and dried fruit, flint and tinder, lighter, fishing pole, knife, necessary clothing, and a kayak. I considered bringing beer, as per the cliche, but I would prefer to have zero waste. I want a week-long adventure, in areas near the Mississipi or another river. Everything must be transportable by way of kayak, and our camp would change just about every day, again by way of kayak.

I want to be secluded, but close enough to society to get cell phone reception and help in case of injury. I would like to try out catching river fish or trying my hand at botany, but I would have the rice and fruit in case I fail miserably (let's hope not).

Anyways I'm basically looking for hints, suggestions, etc. to maximize the experience. I want to go appreciate nature, more than anything. What are the things you wish you did your first time? What are the things you forgot?

I'm new here but I'll be browsing in the recipes and locations sections too, but thanks in advance for any advice you can dish out. =D Sorry for the long post.

tl, dr; going camping, need advice!

-Zeke

1st I wouldn't try a weeklong river trip on your first outing uless you are travelling with a very experienced group. Do a couple of overnight or weekend trips first. NEVER depend on nature to provide your food. I would carry MRE's for your meals. If you find enough edibles and catch fish for your meal then they will be fine for your next trip. Keeping up your calorie intake on a trip of this type is very important though and you do not want to miss any meals. As to general supplies check out a book ar two from your library or even an old boy scout manual. Always consider safety first.

Comment

Originally posted by francwa45 View Post
      1st I wouldn't try a weeklong river trip on your first outing uless you are travelling with a very experienced group. Do a couple of overnight or weekend trips first. NEVER depend on nature to provide your food. I would carry MRE's for your meals. If you find enough edibles and catch fish for your meal then they will be fine for your next trip. Keeping up your calorie intake on a trip of this type is very important though and you do not want to miss any meals. As to general supplies check out a book ar two from your library or even an old boy scout manual. Always consider safety first.
      Very good advice. Starting with one night than two. You will make
      mistakes. You will forget things. And, you will learn new and valueable lessons.
      Small cans of food stuffs. are always a good necessary.
      Size of your kayak will control much of your travels. And, exactly what and how much you can carry safely.
      Out in the bush or barrens is no place to have an accident.
      Learning the tricks of stowing kayak and setting camp get better with experience.
      Happy Voyageur my friend

Comment

A week is a very long time to be in the field my friend. And being new to camping... going on a "bare minumum" camping trip really kills the experience of camping sometimes.
        Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
        USMC Retired
        Scout/Sniper

Comment

Don't forget the water filter - the light-weight hiker type is easy to carry, especially in a 'yak. Don't want to be drinking raw river water downstream of a dead moose........
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Only a fool travels without beer...
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by angler57 View Post
              ..... You will make mistakes. You will forget things. And, you will learn new and valuable lessons.........
              Very good comment. I've got a few hundred miles of trail pounding on the soles of my feet. I still make mistakes, forget things, and most importantly I continue to "learn new and valuable lessons."

As mentioned by another person at this fire, DO NOT DEPEND on mother nature to supply you with your meals. I don't fish, but I carry a hook and piece of line in case I have to survive. I do not carry the hook and line as a way of catching a meal on the trail.

I agree you should look at taking an overnight trek, even staying out two nights. These kind of activities will teach you some great lessons, show you what you need to improve on (gear and learning), and also demonstrate that thinking you can enjoy this time eating only rice and dried fruit isn't going to be a lot of enjoyment.

My wife and I will be going out backpacking in another week for 30 days. I don't think we will be eating the same meal twice in any week's worth of time, and I think only two meals a week contain "rice".

If you want to work up to spending a week or more on the back country, you are going to have to learn how to eat nutritiously because you will need your body to be in the best of shape should you find yourself in a situation where you need your strength/stamina to rescue yourself from some "ops" and your cell phone won't pick up a signal.

I'm now going to zip it because I don't want to give the impression that I am lecturing. Take the advice of those who spoke before me: Do some overnight treks to "test" your clothing, gear, tastes, needs, etc. And, when you find a seasoned packpacker on the trail, tell him/her you are new at this and ask them to give you some advice. I think most of us would be more than glad to spend the time with you because NONE of us on the trail want to find or hear about an injured person in the back country.
              Chuck
              So. Oregon
              TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
              TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
              SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Good words Eagle.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                  Only a fool travels without beer...
                  The next huge thing in powdered drink mixes - a GOOD beer mix! Just add filtered creek water!! :D
                  Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                    The next huge thing in powdered drink mixes - a GOOD beer mix! Just add filtered creek water!! :D
                    I'd second that!
                    Chuck
                    So. Oregon
                    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
                    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
                    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Hate to be a killjoy, but leave the alcohol at home-better yet, at the store. You need full use of your senses out there. I've been there, believe me it ain't worth it.
                      Second-as others have mentioned, do dry runs first(notice I used the plural). Using a kayak? Remember you'll have limited space for your gear(you DO know how to use a kayak, don't you? If not, make it priority 1 to learn to be proficient in it). Start with basic camping gear-bivy tent, sleeping bag,etc. Learn to set up and break down camp efficiently. Learn camp cooking, too, before heading out. And don't forget-SAFETY, first last and always. Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                      X