need help asap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help asap

Hey there, new to the forums, but not to camping. Couple friends and i are planning on heading out to Joshua Tree to go camping, and we saw the Old Dale Mining area, and liked that it was secluded, out of the way, ect. One thing i had a question about was the access to the area, which it says requires a 4X4 to get into. I have access to a 4X4 but i'm not an experienced 4X4 driver (more an experienced passenger). So my question is this, has anyone taken the road into this area, and if so what kind of road is it (mainly want to know if there are any steep hills or rocks that need to be traversed, or if its just mainly flat with some rocky areas)? I'm trying to guage the difficulty to see if its worth risking, or if we should just go to a different site). Thanks in advance for any advice.

If you know how to air-out and air-up and have that equipment then it's a great road. Very soft sand 4x4 low all the way. Not for the in-experienced driver. What you pack in you have to pack out. 60 some miles of beautiful mojavean dirt! Camp at Bell Campground and drive the Geology Tour road instead. That will give you a taste of desert 4x4ing. Thanks for joining the camping forums!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Well, so much for that then...How about Cottonwood springs, that is our alternative, i know it doesn't require 4X4, but how about the area in general?

Comment

All right, well forget that trail then (as its not my truck im not going to risk it). How about cottonwood springs (i know you don't need 4X4 to get to the campsite), i'm wondering more about the campsite itself, and the area, as i haven't been to Joshua Tree in about 10 years or so.

Comment

There are so many camp sites there that are great places to be. I am in Joshua Tree now, and have camped at the park many, many times. I have not been where you are asking about though.

There is also BLM land all around J.T. that is secluded but easier to get to.
          My Other Interest

Comment

What about cottonwood springs? Thats the other place we were thinking of going to (although i prefer the more secluded places) they want better hiking trails and whatnot. If you have any other sites that you think are better, im open to suggestions!

Comment

Cottonwood Springs is at the far south end of the park. It's 30 miles one way to the better features and places to hike too. CS is also doesn't afford much privacy. The campground is located on a hillside and many spots are not flat for a tent. It's great from the RVer or the trailer camper. But not so good for the tenter. The only shade available there is from the Creosote bushes and they only grow about three feet tall. It is also warmer there. So you'll have to provide your own shade. More RVs & trailers there. I would suggest Bell CG, or Jumbo Rock, White Tank, even Blackrock CG is better than Cotton. Just my $0.02.
              Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
              Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

The best campground in the park, in my opinion, is Hidden Valley.

I can see the park entrance from where I type right now and as soon as the sun goes down, I see a long 'train' of vehicles leaving JTNP.

My point? The campgrounds are probably full, so check into that before you head up there and have an alternate place to camp.

Blackrock Canyon is a good one, and so is Indian Cove.
                My Other Interest

Comment

Thanks for the replies. So we got back today from Joshua Tree, unfortunately we left a lot later than i had originally planned on leaving, thus all the campground were full. We entered on the south side, went through cottonwood springs, saw the signs saying that everything north is full and decided to take the old dale mining road trail (that was fun). I have to say this about the trail, most websites i read said you need 4x4 to get up there, i made it all the way through in a 89' bronco (granted it has 4x4, but i did not switch it on), and i have never driven off-road before, let alone on a trail like that (those of you who have taken that trail will know what im talking about), i have been going down to baja since i was a kid though, chasing for different teams with my dad, so im not completely new to off-roading, just new to being the driver. We werent really able to find the old dale camp site, i think somewhere along the line we missed a trail, or took a wrong turn (it was dark as hell), and we ended up hitting highway 62, doubled back alittle and just set up camp on a flat area. If any of you have been to the supposed old dale campsite, is there any specific, or special trail to get there?

But all in all, it was pretty fun even though it was just for a night.

Comment

Working...
                  X