Planning an Extended Camping Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning an Extended Camping Trip

Well, as you may be able to see, I am new to the forums, but hope to become an active member. My main reason to join is that I am entertaining the idea of taking a 2 week hiking/camping trip this summer as a way to just take a break from everything, but have no idea where to start with the planning. My experience with the outdoors is mainly concentated with my military service and did complete jungle and desert survival training, but those were all in semi-controlled environments. Aside from the Marines, I also have experience hiking a portion of the Colorado Trail with a group of friends for a week, some camping trips up in the Rocky Mtn National Park, and a few adventures here and there. So, needless to say, I am not a novice, but not experienced either.

My current idea is that I get at least one friend, preferribly two, to come along on this adventure with me. I am not ready to fly solo with this and have no intentions of doing so. I would like to start at one end of a trail and go to another, preferribly outside of Colorado. Maybe Oregon or Washington, but am open to recommendations. I want to carry in all my food as to limit my impact on the local wildlife, but am willing to consider limited hunting and fishing if need be. As for water collection, I have always planned my camping trips to take me around water sources so that I can filter my water as to limit the weight in my pack.

So, what I am asking of you all here is for advice, tips, recommendations on locations, and so on. This is not set in stone for a particular time aside from hoping to do this during the summer as I am a full time college student. I thank you all for your help iun advance and if you have any questions of me, please do ask.

Originally posted by Richard View Post

My current idea is that I get at least one friend, preferribly two, to come along on this adventure with me. I am not ready to fly solo with this and have no intentions of doing so. I would like to start at one end of a trail and go to another, preferribly outside of Colorado. Maybe Oregon or Washington, but am open to recommendations. I want to carry in all my food as to limit my impact on the local wildlife, but am willing to consider limited hunting and fishing if need be. As for water collection, I have always planned my camping trips to take me around water sources so that I can filter my water as to limit the weight in my pack.

So, what I am asking of you all here is for advice, tips, recommendations on locations, and so on. This is not set in stone for a particular time aside from hoping to do this during the summer as I am a full time college student. I thank you all for your help iun advance and if you have any questions of me, please do ask.
    Sounds like you have a great backpacking adventure in progress. I think a group of two or four people with similar experience would be ideal and the limited fishing and hunting would add to the experience. Some thing to think about are return transportation at the other end, as you did not mention it, and being ready altitude you will be hiking at. Do not forget a good first-aid kit. good luck with the trip and college.
    2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
    2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
    I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

Obtain good topo maps ahead of time and study them. Know the trail conditions and expected weather. Good safety gear is a must. Give a trip plan with a marked copy of the trail map to a friend and let them know when you expect to be back. Tell them as soon as you return. TAKE YOUR TIME. Too many try to maintain a set pace and find the only enjoyable time on the trip was at camp. You may make 12 miles one day and only 4 the next. The important thing is to enjoy the hike as well.

Comment

Working...
      X