Camp Site Dutch Ovens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camp Site Dutch Ovens

Okay, that is my crude paint drawing of a camp site dutch oven. I was wondering if anyone knew of any sites to get information on using them. I have cooked on them and in them, but what I would like to try the next time I go to Lone Pine (My favorite camping spot), I would like to try and bake in it. Any thoughts?

Seth

Howdy ace,
    Here are some quick photos of our Dutch Oven. To cook in this style, one usually places the pot on charcoals and a certain number of brickettes are also placed on top of the lid to heat the chosen receipe to it's ideal temperature. I have a number of receipes and the math associated with using charcoal brickettes in the "Food for Camping" section of this web site. They may not be located on page one but if you scroll through the pages you'll find plenty on Dutch Ovens and also some good web sites to help you along. Or if you want just google Dutch Ovens. Your art is not bad, but I wouldn't want you to give up your day job, heehee!:D

To see a larger version of the pic, just move your cursor over an image and just click it.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I need instructions for baking in the type that I drew. I have one of the round dutch ovens like yours and can cook anything in it. I really want to learn more about using the ones at the camp sites, such as the one in my non-day job, crude drawing. lol

Comment

If you find something useful, I'm interested also. Indeed I was taken aback when I first saw your drawing, but it might be cool to try and get the original D.O. info from the web...I've got my waders on am researching. Hopefully some other great campers have had experience with the stove you've described and will offer assistance to us modern campers.:D

Comment

Lone Pine

Hi Seth,

Not to hijack your thread but... where do you like to camp when you go to Lone Pine?

Comment

Not trying to sound picky, rdf, but your pics are of pots to be used on the stove or in the oven in the kitchen-or hang over a campfire. The "camp" ovens have the three legs and raised lip on the lid to hold coals as well as set above coals.

Comment

Pics of Pots

Chris, photographs do speak louder than words so here is one 9" pot w/lid; lid lifter and gloves. Granted the photo is a very wide angle shot, it was done this morning with the single flash on the Canon 50D and 10mm lens. I do have photographs of the pot in actual action too, but have been busy with other things. The image is a RAW file straight from the camera and reduced to web format, so it needs some modification but it will do. Show everyone your pics of pots?

Comment

Pics of Pots

And for the record Chris here is the underside of said pot. :rolleyes:

Comment

rdf-I'll post pics when I figure out how. So far, my computer won't let me.

Comment

If ya need help with that just holler or send a pm to me when you want to conquer that hill!

Comment

Working...
                    X