Fresh Vegetables, no refrigeration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh Vegetables, no refrigeration

I've always slipped some fresh vegetables into the chuck box. I find I can really spruce up a meal with stuff that's not freeze dried or comes out of a can..
    Even when back packing it seemed the rewards were worth a few ounces of extra weight.

The trick is shopping at farmer's markets for veggies that are unprocessed, like, unwashed, unrefrigerated iceberg lettuce from the field. Before use cut an "X" in the stem and soak it in a cold stream or pan of ice water drained from the cooler. It'll crisp up for a refreshing salad. Unwashed, unrefrigerated chilis too need no refrigeration---a sliced Serrano can add a pleasant kick to a pizza baked in a cast iron Dutch oven.
    Fresh green beans, squash of all flavors , potatoes and of course, onions both red and yellow can offer interesting options on the ol' Coleman or campfire.

It really makes sense! My wife showed me how useful it is and we enjoy fresh veggies anywhere. All genuis is simple

Comment

I mostly backpack, but to satisfy my veggie needs I like to dehydrate them and then just plump them back up in warm water!

Comment

Working...
      X