Camping Dessert Possibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping Dessert Possibility

I was looking to find a simple but fun dessert recipe for camping. I came across one using those boxes of frozen cream puffs and thought "this could REALLY work". I haven't tried it yet, but will update when I do.

One box cream puffs (plain exterior - no chocolate topping; pick your cream flavor)
    2-3 bottles of Smucker's magic shell topping (pick your flavor)
    cake decorations as desired

Work with frozen cream puffs.

Place bottle of Smuckers topping in a glass/bowl of warm/hot water to keep as liquid as possible.

Pour out decorations in small bowls at least 1 inch deep. Pour a small amount of topping in a coffee cup and, using a skewer/toothpick, swirl a cream puff in the topping to completely cover it, then immediately dip in desired decorations. Set on parchment paper or paper baking cups.

For camping, I am going to try doing this with a couple individual fondue cups (looks like coffee cups but have a place to put a tea light underneath the cup) to hold the topping and keep it warm and liquid. I'll use paper baking cups to hold the decorations for dipping.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Re: Camping Dessert Possibility

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
    I was looking to find a simple but fun dessert recipe for camping. I came across one using those boxes of frozen cream puffs and thought "this could REALLY work". I haven't tried it yet, but will update when I do.

One box cream puffs (plain exterior - no chocolate topping; pick your cream flavor)
    2-3 bottles of Smucker's magic shell topping (pick your flavor)
    cake decorations as desired

Work with frozen cream puffs.

Place bottle of Smuckers topping in a glass/bowl of warm/hot water to keep as liquid as possible.

Pour out decorations in small bowls at least 1 inch deep. Pour a small amount of topping in a coffee cup and, using a skewer/toothpick, swirl a cream puff in the topping to completely cover it, then immediately dip in desired decorations. Set on parchment paper or paper baking cups.

For camping, I am going to try doing this with a couple individual fondue cups (looks like coffee cups but have a place to put a tea light underneath the cup) to hold the topping and keep it warm and liquid. I'll use paper baking cups to hold the decorations for dipping.
    I've never seen frozen cream puffs (perimeter shopper) but can't imagine why it wouldn't work. I think your idea of tea light fondue cups is sheer brilliance and gives me ideas for my own setup which has no freezer.

I actually have a few profiteroles (un-stuffed cream puffs) leftover from Christmas and can envision stuffing them w/ glass jar whipped cream, maybe some berry puree or thinned berry jam added and topped w/ tea light heated mini chocolate bars and a lil heavy cream for a ganache. Bet the kiddos would like that:cool:.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Yeah, once I found those fondue cups, the possibilities seem endless. On reviews, I read that for things that need to be melted, do that over the stove/fire, then keep warm in the fondue pots.

I almost added strawberry slices to them, but figured i'd start simple first.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Yeah, once I found those fondue cups, the possibilities seem endless. On reviews, I read that for things that need to be melted, do that over the stove/fire, then keep warm in the fondue pots.

I almost added strawberry slices to them, but figured i'd start simple first.
        I'm going to pull my candle lit fondue pot out, experiment with it and let ya know what happens, heat wise.
        2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

These are the ones I bought: http://www.amazon.com/Kovot-Personal...ue+coffee+mugs

They are 4.75 inches tall, but the actual "cup" is 2 inches deep at the center. The bottom of the cup portion is rounded, so a fit less than 2 inches on along the rim.

I'm going to try mine out on Saturday while I watch all the rain coming down.

Comment

These are the ones I bought: http://www.amazon.com/Kovot-Personal...ue+coffee+mugs

They are 4.75 inches tall, but the actual "cup" is 2 inches deep at the center. The bottom of the cup portion is rounded, so a fit less than 2 inches on along the rim.

I'm going to try mine out on Saturday while I watch all the rain coming down.
            I'm in the middle of packing stuff to move so can't post a pic of my fondue pot fer the minute. Maybe I can find one on line. Gonna look there.
            2017:

Comment

OK. I found it. It's similar to this version:
              http://www.swissmar.com/usa/gourmet/...il.php?id=1275

and since the company is located in NY even though I bought it at the National Swiss Tourist shop in Zurich (LMAO to the nth) I was able to call them this morning. The customer rep recommended that this type of ceramic NOT be used over direct heat higher than a tea light:(. However I have a few Buffalo chinaware pieces and am going to check and see which one fits best atop the burner unit. A Buffalo piece should be able to retain higher temperatures w/o breaking.
              2017:

Comment

Working...
              X