Green Minestrone Soup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Minestrone Soup

Made this for Easter and it was such a smash w/ the picky eater in my life I'm taking it camping.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...trone-51235870

Easy to add say chicken if you want it to be a complete meal. Also whatever veggies you like and/or are in season. I added chopped asparagus and roasted baby artichokes since it all looked so fresh at market. The asparagus went over well but honestly the artichokes didn't make as much sense for this dish.

For camping, I'll cook the pasta at home and add at the camp ground since it has a tendency to absorb liquid as it cooks. Also I'd suggest using 6 cups of broth instead of 4.

Oh right and it's easy to tell this is a photo of the Princess' setting what with the no touching food rule being adhered to with the separate plate of roast pork. Which should have been lamb but hey it's what she wanted and just meant there were more lamb chops for those who appreciate it.
    Last edited by NYCgrrl; 04-08-2015, 07:07 AM.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Re: Green Minestrone Soup

That sounds and looks good NYCgrrl! Even better that the picky eater kiddo likes it (winner!). I've read your posts about some of your menus at camp...I'm sure I would have a happy camping belly. My my my...you do take camp culinary skills beyond anything I've experienced.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
      That sounds and looks good NYCgrrl! Even better that the picky eater kiddo likes it (winner!). I've read your posts about some of your menus at camp...I'm sure I would have a happy camping belly. My my my...you do take camp culinary skills beyond anything I've experienced.
      She's growing that one. She finally let's me mix veggies and is considering the wisdom of eating cheese:he:. She helped me make a meat sauce for tacos and actually ate one with the salad fixings a top. Who knows? Maybe before she's a preteen I can convince her to eat mac + cheese. I spend much of the winter planning my camping menus instead of buy equipment nowadays; nice way to fill the days of the grey skies with lil daylight.

Oh and about that roast pork. It was meant for camping and I'll post separately about it a bit later.
      2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

UPDATE.
        Only the youngest and oldest like it. The teenager felt it was "meh".

One of the nice things about this soup is it's a great way to use up leftover salad. Just add it in after the soup heats up and it wilts nicely.
        No I didn't have dressing on the salad but I tend to dress it just before eating.
        Last edited by NYCgrrl; 08-01-2015, 07:22 AM.
        2017:

Comment

Working...
        X