Buyer Beware: Nestle Hot Chocolate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buyer Beware: Nestle Hot Chocolate

We keep hearing about how food producers are making packages of products smaller to save cost.

Nestle has recently brought this to a whole new level.

I recently bought a couple boxes of Nestle hot chocolate and when I opened the box, it was only half full. Half of the box where another row of hot chocolate pouches would be was empty. I thought it must have been a manufacturing snafu. The other boxes were the same.

Then, I noticed that the box was actually for SIX pouches instead of the standard ten pouches.

SO, what Nestles did was sell a big box half full. Yes, they did show on the box that only six pouches are inside, but on the shelf, the consumer doesn't notice because all the other same-sized boxes contain ten or twelve pouches.

In addition to the trick, what a waste of packaging material, transportation, and shelf space. Nothing "green" about Nestle.

Be careful to read the box when you are selecting all products, but be aware that Nestle's is particularly sneaky.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Half empty Nestle box.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	72679

Re: Buyer Beware: Nestle Hot Chocolate

On the other hand, they used the pre-sized materials on hand instead of the energy to re-tool or re-order boxes.
    - Laura
    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

It's got to be fun to sell products in this economy where with the built-in inflation you have to keep replacing workers with automation, raising prices or making products smaller to stay competitive. Then after a 14-hour-day you get home, turn the TV on and hear that Small Business, Fox News and Rush Limbaugh to blame for the Income Inequality and sour economy. It's enough to make you get up and brew some hot chocolate!
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Quickly walking out of this thread before I find my soapbox...
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Just another reason why I buy bulk at a BJ's or the local restaurant suppliers. I bet the backpackers on here have some neat tricks to travel with measured powders.

"Off sizes" I call themI typically see them sold at big pharmacy stores or convenience marts. They don't have the "large size" or the "small size" of chips or cereal, they have this mid-size and charge the large price for them, but the box has the same width and height, but not the same weight. When I pick up drug store type items, I see people doing their complete grocery orders there and the prices are sky high it really baffles me. :cool:
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Moss View Post
            I bet the backpackers on here have some neat tricks to travel with measured powders.
            No longer backpacking, I still like to minimize bulk in the truck. My answer was, and is, Nalgene bottles and jars.

Originally posted by Moss View Post
            When I pick up drug store type items, I see people doing their complete grocery orders there and the prices are sky high it really baffles me.
            Here in America, we don't think too much about anything but getting the latest smartphone and who won on America's Got Talent or the X Factor. Oh - and spending a ton of money to pay our overpaid athletes.
            Last edited by MacGyver; 02-03-2014, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X