cooking rice in a Japanese Hango bucket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cooking rice in a Japanese Hango bucket

Rice is not all the same. To folks who eat rice as a staple, the differences in rice are as different as beef, pork, chicken , and fish.

Rices varieties from India, China, Japan/Korea, or Louisiana are different. You should know how to cook your favorite type of rice. I will not elaborate here, but the different types of rice have wildly different rice to water ratios when cooking. Some ratios are 1 part rice to three parts water and others are nearly one-to-one depending on the type of rice and the style of cooking.

If you are eating instant rice or converted rice like Uncle Bens rice, then God rest your soul

I like Japanese/Korean style rice. This is the short grained rice. It is grown in the USA (mostly California) and sold under brands like Kokuho, Tsurumai, Rose, and others.

With Japanese rice, the ration is 3/4 parts rice to one part water. In other words, 3/4 cup rice and one cup water. However, by tradition, you rinses the rice, so that adds some water to the formulation.

When camping, I cook rice in a Japanese "Hango" similar to an Australian "billy"

Here is how to do it:

Measure the rice you need. 3/4 cup of dry rice is enough for two light eating women or one big eating man. 3/4 cup of rice will feed 12 women on dinner dates Ha ha.

Rinse the rice. Japanese cooking calls for "scrubbing" the rice which will remove most of the nutrition except the starchy carbohydrates, so I keep this tradition to a minimum and justs give it a quick rinse. The rinse does remove some of the starch powder and keeps the cooked rice from getting too glue-gumpy.

Put the rice into the Hango bucket, add water (3/4 parts rice to 1 part water).

Heat on low flame until you see steam puffing up from the lid of the hango. Let this steam puffing continue for about five minutes. You will see the steam puffs start to reduce as the rice cooks. Remember, low flame means less chance of burned rice. The real trick is that you have to get the timing right WITHOUT LIFTING THE LID. If you lift the lid, you will either get mush or burned rice. Don't lift the lid while cooking.

Remove from direct flame and either cover with a blanket or keep in a warm spot near the fire for about ten minutes. You can enhanse the texture of the rice at this stage by putting a paper or thing cotton towel between the lid and the pot.

And there you have it. Perfect rice. With some experience, you will be able to cook rice without burning and without it being undercooked or overcooked.

Last edited by Mike; 10-22-2013, 03:00 AM.

Re: cooking rice in a Japanese Hango bucket

That cooker is nearly identical to my surplus East German mess kit.
    I detest instant rice - dull flavorless mush.
    But I grew up eating Uncle Ben's rice, and it's texture is to my liking - perfect for good old southern "Eggs & Rice". Oriental rice is far too sticky. The more 'fragrant' varieties like Jasmine rice, are too pungent and have too strong a flavor. In southern cooking, the rice is a basis on which to build the meal and should take on the flavor of what is cooked into it, not vice-versa. Different styles for different folks I guess. Just as we consider meat as the main part of the meal, not as simply 'flavoring' as it is in other countries.
    I do eat Jasmine and Basmati at times, but in other cooking, not proper southern style. And I still eat far more Uncle Ben's rice. It's what I am used to, and I like the taste and texture.

Wiki has an article on rice varieties:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rice_varieties
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Thanks for your "outback" recipe Mike and focus on rice variety - I too ate the carbo mush called Uncle Bens when I was young and might have well just eaten sugar. With our AC rice cookers and pot collection it's good to see a small portable over-the-fire device. My own Little Chef is a Half-Nipper, so we tend to switch off from Thai jasmine (confused above with basmati) to Shin Tao brown. We only cook the short-grain sticky stuff (Nishiki Sushi Rice) to make Makizushi in bamboo, so as to not fall apart in the chopsticks, LOL. :cool:
      Last edited by tplife; 10-22-2013, 10:37 AM.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

White rice, brown rice. Dirty rice, red beans and rice. That was my world. Now I know that there is a whole new world of rice to be explored...I am looking forward to it!
        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
        X